Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
whats your bowhunting routine? >

whats your bowhunting routine?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your bowhunting routine?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Spike

Default whats your bowhunting routine?

im gunna be goin bowhunting again this year and i am always up to improve my hunting skills so i was just wondering what your daily routine is when it comes to bowhuting? thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what day the hunt is taking place, weekday versus weekend. I work till noon on Fridays, which is awesome, so on those days, I do my scent free shower in the morning before work, go to work (its an office, so no scent really to worry about.) Then, head to the woods. I'll have already packed my clothes in a tub the night before, so they are all set. When I get to my lease, I towel down with the scent-away towels just go get any office odors off the best I can. I always walk in with as little clothing as I can stand, even it if that is just my undies and a t-shirt. I'm out in the brush quite a ways, so I don't worry about being seen or anything. There are real nice trails, so I also don't worry about any stickers or anything. I dress at the base of the tree, then head on up.

On weekends, I do pretty much the same, just shower when i get up, put on my first layer, then drive to my spot and dress when I get there. I'm anal about packing and having everything, so I do all that the night before, or I won't sleep.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

My routine is as follows.. Start dreaming of Big buck about 2 months prior to the season, Wash my clothes and climbing stand seat in scent killing detergent around the same time, hang them for a week out back in the woods behind my house, place them in a bin with a burlap bag containing dirt and pine limbs, put the airtight bin in my hunting closet where it stays until the morning I climb in my stand to hunt. I stop using scented deodorants, shampoos, hair products, soaps, cologne, etc about a month before the season. I even change my diet prior to the hunting season to reduce the odors associated with garlic, onions, spices, etc. so if I do sweat the odor is less noticeable, I drink 3x the amount of water I would normally drink- You are thinking I am Crazy, huh?
I spray everything down- the obvious stuff like boots head, neck, hands, etc but also my bow, arrows, release, flashlight, knife, climbing stand. Everything that my bare hands would touch normally while practicing or getting things packed for the hunt.

The night before I hunt I check the weather and see what the wind is forcasted to be and then check again before going out in the morning. I get my shower with the hair and body wash, dry off with a towel washed in scent free detergent and dried with scent free dyer towels, put on the scent free deodorant, put on the scent free lotion especially around my head, in my hair and groin area where odors are normally stronger. I put on sweats washed in scent free detergent and brush my teeth with baking soda toothpaste. Then get in the truck drive to where I am hunting, park, get out and get changed into my base layers, socks, boots, spray down again and then walk into my stand with everything else in my pack. Upon returning to the truck I get changed again before getting inside and put all my gear back in the bin. Alot of rituals and alot of effort but I haven't been winded or blown at since starting this over 6 years ago and I have seen alot more deer within bow range even down wind.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-07-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Spike

Practice all the time, every day! Get better and get really deadly with my bow. Put yourself in a good situation and put the wind in your favor.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get dressed. Check the weather and wind. Go out and get in a tree. Easy peasy

Scent control equals a boat ride down the river to get to my spots.