Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting over corn? >

Hunting over corn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting over corn?

Old 07-01-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Hunting over corn?

Ok lets all get on this band wagon.Would you if it was legal in your area hunt over a feeder or bait?Whats the difference if you draw them in with deer-pee,calls or bait.Are you not trying to draw them in using one of there sences.In our state u must be at least 300yds and out of sight of any bait.I personally would not hunt deer or bear over bait.I guess I feel like its shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting over corn?

I wouldn' t hunt over bait. Baiting trains the deer to come to a specific spot several times a day. Its illegal here in MN. As to scent, calls and pee.....those all may be effective at " certain times of the season" but to a much lesser degree than a bait pile.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:55 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

I tried hunting over corn piles back in 1995. Deer did come in to eat, but the problem was that it was mostly the smaller bucks and does with fawns that came in during legal hours. One problem with it was that the deer seemed to be more alert, and also if they would stay and eat for any lenght of time, it was hard to not get spotted. Heck, most of us have to move after awhile, so any movement had a chance of being spotted.

Beyond that, I was always indifferent to the whole issue of baiting. I stopped using it because I did not find it to be particularly effective. So for me, it did not work out to be like " shooting fish in a barrell" . Then again, I was trying to be selective and hunt nicer bucks. If one wasn' t as selective, then maybe it would increase their chances of success.

Scent is much less...I guess I would say...certain?...in its results. Deer will come to food, but scent is more hit or miss. I' ve had deer come flying into doe in estrus scent in the rut, and then at other times during the rut walk by and ignore it. So I' m not sure you can really equate the two.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:27 PM

Feeders are allowed in Arkansas, but I don' t use them. The wierd thing about it is that some of the newest deer calls out is the sound of a feeder going off.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Find a isolated corn field and you have your bait pile.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:37 AM

i hunt just off a corn field on a main trail ,and believe me it not a sure thing ,last year i didn' t even see one damn deer ! and that was after trying different times of day and even different locations! but it' s not hunting over bait , i think bait is something thats not normally there , that once it' s put in place and the deer find it,it draws them to it maybe due to curiosity? i don' t know maybe it' s the fact that it' s something different to eat. i know when i put corn out in my yard i see more deer than normal, but i don' t hunt in my yard. but hunting over a corn field is not a sure thing.

Old 07-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a topic that i' ve seen many times and the debate goes on and on. I think it' s a matter of personal preference. I think anything that a person can do to up their odds and help them fill their tags as long as it' s legal then i have no problem with it at all. I have several stands i bait and several that i don' t. I see no difference in hunting over bait and/or scents. I also see no difference in hunting a cut corn field compared to hunting over a corn pile, it' s still bait same as a bean field or an acorn ridge no matter if you put it there or not. Sometimes i hunt over the bait and sometimes i hunt trails leading to the bait just depends on if i' m meat hunting or hunting a nice buck. Like already stated a mature buck usually won' t come to a bait pile but you can catch him on a trail leading up to it especially if he' s following does. Like i said if it' s legal where you hunt then it' s up to you whether you choose to bait or not. This is just my personal opinion but as for me i bait and will continue to do so. God Bless!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:17 AM

I don' t see any problems with hunting over bait. It is an effective hunting strategy. What if you are trying to take a child hunting for the first time? You want him/her to see as many deer as possible. Baiting would certainly help that. Since they are no different than using scents or calls, than we should be able to use them anytime, year round. They only problem I have against them is that they are disease spreaders. But, since no disease has been found in my area and baiting is legal, I will be putting corn and apples out this season.
Mike,-
Old 07-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Isn' t bait piles beleived to be a sorce of spreading CWD?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Hunting over corn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.