Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I think I could use some trail camera Tips.... >

I think I could use some trail camera Tips....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I could use some trail camera Tips....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I could use some trail camera Tips....

I left my camera out all week and this is all I got to show for it....

Ryan.

I think I could use some trail camera Tips....-cdy_0005.jpg

I think I could use some trail camera Tips....-cdy_0006.jpg

I think I could use some trail camera Tips....-cdy_0007.jpg
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its getting that time of the year that things will start to pick up. Do you know any water holes near by that deer are visiting?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter View Post
Its getting that time of the year that things will start to pick up. Do you know any water holes near by that deer are visiting?
I think there's something wrong with the camera, there should have been pictures of me taking the camera off the tree because I saw it take my picture, but there wasn't anything on the card, for a weeks time I'd say I didn't do too hot.

As for water the cam is placed less than 15 yards from the only water around I'd put it at the pond but the problem is, there isn't any trees. Maybe some bait or some minerals.

Ryan.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to have minerals if you want lots of pics. Just be sure to check your regulations. dont do anything illegal.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I second the minerals. Go buy a large cow mineral lick, drop it 20 feet infront of the camera, and the deer will find it.

I have had my mineral lick going for 3 years now, and all the deer know where it is and visit it regularily...30-40 pictures a night at 60 sec. intervals. It is like a darn ice cream stand for deer.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does your camera have a "red dot" aiming feature? If so, place the camera on a tree about waist high and get in front of the camera and start moving backwards until the "red dot" is about crotch high on you. This is where your bait and/or projected site should be for getting better pictures.
Also make sure you know what time interval each picture is set on, (1 min,5min,10min,15min,30min,45min,60min) for example, if your camera is set on taking a picture every 10 minutes and you walk by it after it has just taken a picture, your camera wont take another picture for 10 more minutes.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckrogers, I just don't have the cash to get the stuff I usually get so I didn't put any out and its also public land that I'm hunting so that makes it less likley to see deer.

Ridgefactor, no aiming feature and its set on its lowest interval, I think its just getting worn out or something or just throwing a hissy fit. Either way hopefully I'll see more next time.

Ryan.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Test

Test your camera to make sure it's working properly. Maybe it's not.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just try a different spot. Aim the camera down or up a trail instead of straight across, it gives the camera more time to sense something and you will have less blank images. I have heard to put the camera about belly-button high on a tree to give you the best camera angle.

What kind of camera are you using?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

As stated in prior posts, place the cam about waist high. I have a couple Cuddy's and Stealths along with a Predator. Seems once the cam "sleeps" it takes a couple of movements to "wake", this is for all the cams I have. KY Deer hntr has a good solution for this by placing the cam down a trail or run, this give it time to "wake" and its also a sure way for more pics.