Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
where to focus my energy/time this fall? >

where to focus my energy/time this fall?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

where to focus my energy/time this fall?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

Default where to focus my energy/time this fall?

so im lucky enough to have permission to hunt 2 private properties this fall and i also have been scouting some public land. i have found several spots on each land that look like they might be beneficial. lots of natural funnels, foot tracks, trails, etc. i set my 3 cams out on each piece of land and of course will be looking to see if any racks are around.

my question is...should i hunt one piece of land heavy? should i rotate around sitting in different stands each time. should i pick 2-3 stand locations and stay just with them? i dont want to over hunt a spot but i also dont want to miss out on deer by not learning their pattern. any advice would be helpful. thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Spike

In a perfect world, we would be able to approach every stand with the benefit of cover, so as not to be seen. And we'd be able to walk where no deer would ever cut our track later on. Well, the world isnt perfect and every stand doesnt have perfect access.

My preference is to rotate. On the places I hunt now, I try to avoid hunting the same tree twice a week until the rut, to minimize the disturbance to resident does. Once the rut heats up, I may hunt the same stand several days in a row and see new bucks every day.

I had a similar situation as you last year on a new piece of ground that I was unfamiliar with. I hunted a different tree every time I hunted until I felt like I had things figured out. Trust your scouting for your initial set-ups, but dont hesitate to bounce around if you dont see much activity.

Tyler