Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
shooting into bails of hay? >

shooting into bails of hay?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting into bails of hay?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default shooting into bails of hay?

this is only my 2nd year bowhunting. last year a buddy of mine gave me his old shooting block to practice. after going to the store today, i saw the cheapest block target was 90 dollars!!! i know a few guys that practice shooting bails of hay but other guys tell me it damages arrows. are bails of hay ok to shoot into or should i spend the money on a legit target? thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

A legit tartet is alot easier to move around than a bale of hay.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...346&hasJS=true

I have that target and it works great. I have probably 500 arrows in the one side and it still has at least that left in it, plus there is the other side that looks brand new.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Delta Quad

One of these will last you a long long time.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CA0Q8gIwATgA#p
Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used straw bails for many years. They are about 3 bucks apiece and last a long time...especially if you buy some all-thread and make a little press to keep it tight. They can't really be moved because they get wet and heavy. But if you want cheap then its the way to go...but only for field points.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Spike

Hay bails are "ok" as long as your arrow fletches do not penetrate. In time (very short time) they will peel back and you will end up spending cash on re-fletching. Hinse damage to your arrows.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can find targets WAY cheaper than 90 bucks. In my opinion the actual "block" targets aint worth the money they are marked for. I just got a Rinehart 3d target to practice with and supposedly its supposed to last for years and have the self healing foam.

Well after 3 separate days I have shot it...theres already big chunks flying off. So everything is gonna get destroyed so might as well get something cheap and shoot the crap out of it
Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Spike

You can go "green" and buy recycled targets. I don't know what the core is made of but I shoot these in by basement regular @ 10yds and my arrows stop at around 8" penetrated with my Z7. This is by far the best target for the price.

Specs:
24H” X 20H” X 12D" 20lbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightning-Stop-F...item4aa1c6e1ef
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

ive only shot into round bails at long distances so i know the arrow wont go very deep in but ive had my block for 4 years now and its still in good shape
Old 06-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Spike

Hay bales work great if you are using field tips. They dull broadheads really fast though. Once your fletching gets close to penetrating, replace the bale. That being said, I use a glen del buck. I have used it for about a year and I am ready for a new insert.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used them for years.They work great with field points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.