Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rests

Old 06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of quality rests available these days.

For containment rests, you just aren't gonna beat the classic Whicker Biscuit.

For fallaways, some excellent choices are the Ripcord Code Red, the QAD HD and the Limbdriver.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by marquismarc
I like the ripcord code red.
I second that! I love mine!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what is the best, but I've been using Trophy Taker for years and can afford to buy anything on the market, but T.T. has never let me down so why would I switch now?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a heads up, I've got a Ripcord Code Red for sale in the classifieds, and I
ll be lowering the price $5 every few days until someone buys it.....I still like my WB!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the QAD Ultra. If you have to let down slowly the launcher arm remains up which is a nice feature.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Spike

Whisker Biscuit all the way for me. It's quite and my arrows never fall out of the rest..
Old 07-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Spike

Default NM Wind

Out here in the mountains of western New Mexico full containment is the only way to go do to our constant winds. Our normal day is 15 mph to 20 mph sustained winds with gusts to 30 mph with lots of days were the winds are much stronger. The wind gusts can and will pluck the arrow right off a rest that does not have full containment. Since I am going out to the archery range this afternoon I checked the NOAA sight and right now we have 18 mph sustained winds with gusts to 30 mph. Just a normal day.

Also if you are considering an elk hunt in western NM you should consider a full containment rest because our Sept. 1st opening day is also during our monsoon season when thunderstorm build up over the mountains every day starting around noon. The gusts from these storms are in the 35 mph to 50 mph range. You wouldnt want to go home with tag soup because when you got to full draw the wind snatched the arrow off your rest. I've seen it happen, before my age got to the point that guiding wasnt fun anymore I was an archery only elk guide for several years.

As for the full containment rests are for newbies, I've been a die hard tournament archer/bowhunter for 38 years now.