Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
getting permission >

getting permission

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting permission

Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default getting permission

I have two chances to get access to two different pieces of land which border each other. Both are corn/beans with woods by. One is 250 or so acres and one is 150 I think. Every night when we drive out of our shop I notice alot of deer. One of the property the owner owns the local insurance company we have our business policy with. The other is a guy who lives in the next town and leases out the land.

How should I go at getting permission? The insurance guy I figured I would talk to face to face. The other will properly be on the phone.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would try the face-to-face approach for both gentlemen. That way you could shake their hands and show them what kind of person you are. It's always better to look them in the eye when you assure them you'll be responsible if allowed to hunt on their property.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a military guy, I move often and have become somewhat of an expert property scrounger. Here are some non-typical pointers:

1. Gotta make your approach face-to-face! I have only been turned down a couple of times in 20 years and they were on the phone. Avoid first contact on the phone if at all possible.

2. Approach the owner that is most likely to say ‘yes’ first. Then, when you tackle the second guy, you can mention that his neighbor has already granted permission.

3. If you are turned down for permission to hunt, consider asking for permission to track and retrieve (very important for bowhunting) or even shed hunting or crossing the property for stealthy entrance/exit. Then, build a relationship based on trust and respectful land use.

4. A lot of folks will tell you to offer to help with chores and this is fine. However, it is not as important to most landowners as you might think.

5. Expect a chilly reception initially. If you have a previous relation (like the insurance guy), then you are way ahead.

6. You can download a release from liability on the internet. You can sign it and offer it to the landowner if he/she is worried about being sued. PM me and I can send a blank one via email if you don't want to pay/download. A little bit of legal internet research can help here too. For example, it is not possible for a 'recreational land user' to sue a land owner in Virginia (where I live now).

7. Always carry a small, blank permission slip in your wallet/car - in case you unexpectedly meet a property owner at kid's school, church, etc.

8. The best way to get good at finding new properties is to do it.

9. Get familiar your county tax map system. Some use internet sites that are very simple to use for research landowner names, addresses etc. Don't overwhelm the landowner with how much info you know about him or his property. It's creepy.

10. In my opinion, finding new properties is an absolutely vital task just like accurate shooting, bow tuning, post-season scouting, meat care etc.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will pm you my email. Alot of good info there buddy. WIll try for the face to face for the other guy. Figure I will print out the release and info on insurance and offer to get a liability policy to cover them. The guy we bought the business from said neither would be a issue. He said the insurance guy is a good friend and normally will say yes if he knows the person and knows their responsible I guess they just want to know who is coming and going and when. Good thing for me my schedule is open so I can hunt during the week if they want the weekend to them selfs.
Originally Posted by kwilson16
As a military guy, I move often and have become somewhat of an expert property scrounger. Here are some non-typical pointers:

1. Gotta make your approach face-to-face! I have only been turned down a couple of times in 20 years and they were on the phone. Avoid first contact on the phone if at all possible.

2. Approach the owner that is most likely to say ‘yes’ first. Then, when you tackle the second guy, you can mention that his neighbor has already granted permission.

3. If you are turned down for permission to hunt, consider asking for permission to track and retrieve (very important for bowhunting) or even shed hunting or crossing the property for stealthy entrance/exit. Then, build a relationship based on trust and respectful land use.

4. A lot of folks will tell you to offer to help with chores and this is fine. However, it is not as important to most landowners as you might think.

5. Expect a chilly reception initially. If you have a previous relation (like the insurance guy), then you are way ahead.

6. You can download a release from liability on the internet. You can sign it and offer it to the landowner if he/she is worried about being sued. PM me and I can send a blank one via email if you don't want to pay/download. A little bit of legal internet research can help here too. For example, it is not possible for a 'recreational land user' to sue a land owner in Virginia (where I live now).

7. Always carry a small, blank permission slip in your wallet/car - in case you unexpectedly meet a property owner at kid's school, church, etc.

9. Get familiar your county tax map system. Some use internet sites that are very simple to use for research landowner names, addresses etc. Don't overwhelm the landowner with how much info you know about him or his property. It's creepy.

10. In my opinion, finding new properties is an absolutely vital task just like accurate shooting, bow tuning, post-season scouting, meat care etc.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

with the insurance guy I'd just start talking to him and slowly bring deer hunting into the conversation until a light clicks on in his head that I'm asking. Then again I try and make friends first or be introduced at a party (good time of year for those) by a friend. Most already have given some permission and some need a little more time to mull it over, maybe next year. A few say, we'd love having you hunt there.

Work on genuinely caring about other people and the rest will come. As a result of taking care of business first I've had people here ask their anti hunting daughter in your state for me. They not only said yes but would love to put me up. Have had offers to go out west,south,east and canada. Just make friends and most of all marry a good woman who takes your food over to everybody, even people who don't want her too.

Going to a party today that the little woman is taking food too. I'm feeling good about this party on a rural farm. Got a be several thousands of acre's being represented there and you know them farmers, best way to'm is through the wifes food.

Last edited by nodog; 05-30-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kwilson16

Having grown up on a private farm/ranch, I can say that this is excellent information. About the only thing that I can think of to add is the information that you will close gates and not drive on/tear up fields - in other words, respect the land owners property. Nothing will deny you, and subsequently the rest of up permission to private land than the dumb @*^# that too often comes with inconsiderate 'sportsmen'.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Face to Face is the way to go, I always turn down people that call me on the phone.
To me is just a voice and who knows who they are.