Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
From your experience.... >

From your experience....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

From your experience....

Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

Default From your experience....

I'm going to get back into bowhunting for deer this fall after a layoff of about 30 years. Much has changed during that time, especially with compound bows. So, I was wondering about a couple of things regarding the selection of broadheads, and therefore would like your opinions based on your personal experience.
  1. I'm considering the fixed blades, vs expandables, and wonder which flies truer, a 3-blade or 4-blade broadhead & why?
  2. If a 3-blade head, does it really matter if the blades align with the fletching?
  3. If the 4-blade should fly truer, would that suggest the arrow should have 4 fletchings?
Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Recently, I've been comparing the Muzzy MX-3 with the Muzzy MX-4, and those prompted the questions above.

The assistant (younger gentleman) in the local pro shop stated the 3-blades ran truer and the blades should be aligned with the fletching. He stated that an O-ring is used behind the broadhead, in which the tightness of the broadhead would vary to align the broadhead with the fletching. Frankly, this impressed me as being a bit too theoretical, lacking some practicality.

Last edited by Ancient Archer; 05-24-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Can't say I have ever seen one fly better than the other out of a properly tuned bow.

2. Does not matter if the blades align with the fletchings....if it did how would a 4 blade or even a 2 blade fly well?

3. Again it does not matter as far as 4 blade and fletchings.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
1. Can't say I have ever seen one fly better than the other out of a properly tuned bow.

2. Does not matter if the blades align with the fletchings....if it did how would a 4 blade or even a 2 blade fly well?

3. Again it does not matter as far as 4 blade and fletchings.
x2!!!!!!!!!