HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rage Broadheads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/322547-rage-broadheads.html)

skeeter170 04-30-2010 12:04 PM

Rage Broadheads?

i am think about trying the Rage Broadheads. Comments from people that have used them would be appreciated. DO they have a problem with passing through and do the really cut the hole that they advertise?

Rhody Hunter 04-30-2010 12:37 PM

do a search on rage and you will get tons of posts on them . the subject has been beat to death.
they are a good head give them a try if you want.
The price is like throwing your wallet through an animal

gunther89 04-30-2010 12:48 PM

They are worth the money in my opinion. The rage broadhead got me my biggest buck ever a 167 inch 17 pointer because I made a bad shot on him but the rage opened him up big time and had massive internal bleeding. Will be shooting this broadhead for a long time.

IL-Cornfed 04-30-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by gunther89 (Post 3620287)
They are worth the money in my opinion. The rage broadhead got me my biggest buck ever a 167 inch 17 pointer because I made a bad shot on him but the rage opened him up big time and had massive internal bleeding. Will be shooting this broadhead for a long time.

I'm glad you scored on a great buck but you don't seriously think that the Rage helped you tag it do you ?!? I mean seriously, the Rages 2" cut is only 1" measly inch larger than the smaller b-heads offered.... now look at a tape measure and you tell me that that lil' tiny 1" would have helped you recover the animal any better ?!?

IL-Cornfed 04-30-2010 04:51 PM

I should mention that I've been testing the 2 blade Rage b-heads on assorted critters here in west-central Illinois for the last couple seasons and they are a decent b-head. However, there are far better choices in strength and penetration. I believe the biggest mistake folks are making with the Rage heads is not shooting enough draw weight and Kinetic Energy. Remember a 2" ENTRY is NEVER going to beat even the smallest pass-thru. No b-head does you much good if you can't push it all the way through an animal.

As someone else has mentioned, do a search on this forum or others and you'll find TONS of feedback! Good luck

Iowabucks44 04-30-2010 05:14 PM

I have seen a couple does shot by a friend that have huge entry holes. Maybe they were hit at a quartering angle, but some holes were the size of popcans. He has taken 20 or so deer with them and only had one deer ever go more than 40 yards.

HoytUltratec 04-30-2010 09:41 PM

I dont think an arrow passing completly through the animal is always a plus some times i think its best when the arrow is stuck and everytime that deer its a tree or branch that broad head tears causing more damage and a better blood trail.

ozbowhunter 05-01-2010 12:18 AM

rage = hype in my opinion
look around there are other broadheads that are as good or better and more affordable

wvnimrod 05-02-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ozbowhunter (Post 3620483)
rage = hype in my opinion
look around there are other broadheads that are as good or better and more affordable

I agree,and I think alot of new bowhunters fall into all the hype and stories,that they think the rage will make up for a bad shot.
IMO nothing beats practice and with good shot placement ANY broadhead will do the job.

DoubleLung55 05-02-2010 07:41 AM

I have shot the rage heads since they hit the market and have nothing but positive experiences with them...they truely do open up the animals and yes they pass thru if you are shooting the poundage to allow them too, for younger hunters shooting under say 50-55 lbs i would say to stick with a smaller fixed blade head, but as long as you have the @$$ behind it, any head will pass thru...but they definately do open the game wide open.

RidgeFACTOR 05-02-2010 08:03 AM

I shoot them and haven't had any problems with them, they make quite a hole as advertised. I just wished they would come in atleast a 4-Pack instead of only 3 for the price....$40.00

drockw 05-02-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed (Post 3620374)
I'm glad you scored on a great buck but you don't seriously think that the Rage helped you tag it do you ?!? I mean seriously, the Rages 2" cut is only 1" measly inch larger than the smaller b-heads offered.... now look at a tape measure and you tell me that that lil' tiny 1" would have helped you recover the animal any better ?!?

Why couldnt it have!?!?!?

The difference between .0001 of an inch could be the difference between a cut arterie/lung/heart or what ever, so why couldnt this head with its measley 1" larger cut helped this guy recover his deer????

2" of damage to the internals is DOUBLE 1" if we are comparing apples to apples....

Rages work imo if you have the right arrow setup for them. Id stick with a heavy arrow for the 2 blades, like 450+

Iowabucks44 05-02-2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by HoytUltratec (Post 3620477)
some times i think its best when the arrow is stuck and everytime that deer its a tree or branch that broad head tears causing more damage and a better blood trail.

I shot a deer with a fixed blade many years back. It was quartering away sharply and i hit it back a little farther than i wanted. The arrow had only penetrated about 8 inches. The doe ran off and when i recovered her, i had found that the running she did drew the arrow into her body cavity the rest of the way until almost none of the arrow was showing, tearing up everything inside.

Long story short, running with the arrow still inside will do alot of damage as will the arrow hitting trees along the way.

LKNCHOPPERS 05-03-2010 07:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Shot ywo nice bucks last year with Rage broadheads. Both quartering away both pass thrus. Both had a great blood trail with very large wound channels in and out. I shoot 68 lbs 30" draw so there is energy to spare.
Here are pictures of both entry wounds with the skin off.

annika3 05-03-2010 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed (Post 3620374)

Are YOU serious? 1" is a HUGE difference when it comes down to the damage being done and what you hit or might miss.

I've also tested them out on 5 P&Y bucks from Iowa and Kansas and got passthroughs on every one at shooting 260fps.

Howler 05-03-2010 02:00 PM

Not much of a mathematition, BUT wouldn't a 3 bladed broadhead with 1" blades cut more tissue than a 2 bladed broadhead that measures 2" when open....suntin to tink about!!

Kid 05-03-2010 03:20 PM

Far too many people like to blame their failures on their equipment. Native Americans used to kill Deer with a sharpened rock tied to a stick. :poke: Most any well made broadhead will do the trick if it is driven with enough energy and the shot placement is good. For every person who loves the Rage you'll find one who swears they're junk. Push them with enough energy and put them where they belong and you'll kill Deer with the Rage broadhead, which is no different than most any other Broadhead you can name.

SaintHubert 05-04-2010 06:41 AM

I bought Rage 2-blades once. The blades would deploy in the quiver or if you bumped your arrow in the stand. :rant: I didn't want to worry about my broadhead, too many other things to focus on. I sold them and got the XC-3's. I like them MUCH more!

annika3 05-04-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Howler (Post 3621580)
Not much of a mathematition, BUT wouldn't a 3 bladed broadhead with 1" blades cut more tissue than a 2 bladed broadhead that measures 2" when open....suntin to tink about!!

There is a huge difference between cutting tissue and cutting diameter.

Cutting diameter is the size of damage.

Cutting tissue is the damage done within the size of the cutting diameter.

By the way, there isn't any 3 blade, 1" blades. That would be a 3" diameter head. I think you were trying to say a 3 blade 1" diameter head and no they wouldn't cut as much tissue. It would cut 1 1/2" of tissue within a 1" diameter.

2 Samuel 22:35 05-05-2010 07:36 AM

This is a very old, old ,old topic.
Bottom line-Rage has good entry hole size but your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10.
Go with a cheaper broad head that will pass through something like muzzy or slick trick will do the same and even a better job with killing deer.
Even thought they are only about 1 1/8 inch in diameter you will almost always get a pass through.
Hope that helps.

drockw 05-05-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35 (Post 3622511)
Bottom line-Rage has good entry hole size but your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10.
Go with a cheaper broad head that will pass through something like muzzy or slick trick will do the same and even a better job with killing deer.
Even thought they are only about 1 1/8 inch in diameter you will almost always get a pass through.
Hope that helps.

LEt me rephrase please...

"But your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10 if you dont know how to build a hunting arrow that will maximize penetration"

Ive got 6 kills under my belt now with rage 2 and 3 blades, and only 1 was not a full pass through.

If you dont have the automatic benefit of higher KE(by shooting a higher poundage, or longer drawlength), then you should be using a much heavier arrow than most people tend to like to do. Since we are stuck on speed, everyone wants a roughly 400gr arrow for hunting... This is ok if you have ample energy, but when you are borderline, there is no sense in shooting that light of an arrow. Heavier will be more useful most of the time anyways as it will make the bow quieter, more efficient(at transfering its potential energy), and tuning is typically MUCH easier.

I bet your presumed 1 out of 10 number would double if everyone shot a 500gr arrow;) Id almost bet money on it

4evrhtn 05-05-2010 01:12 PM

Here are the results of a poll I posted last year prior to the archery season. I asked which type of broadhead do you prefer. Here are the results. It is evident that the fixed blade broadhead has proven itself to be the preferred broadhead. Why? Because they work and always have and in spite of the new perceived "mechanical advantage", Most hunters stick with what they have confidence in and have always killed game with.

Solid one-piece fixed blade- needs resharpening
16 10.74%
Replaceable razor style fixed blade
80 53.69%
Rear opening mechanical
38 25.50%
Forward opening mechanical
15 10.07%

Voters: 149. This poll is closed

RidgeFACTOR 05-05-2010 04:32 PM

Hope that helps.

Wrong, more like 6 out of 10. Sure it depends on arrow placement but these heads are good enough for way more than 1 out of 10 pass-thru's.

drockw 05-05-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3622672)
Here are the results of a poll I posted last year prior to the archery season. I asked which type of broadhead do you prefer. Here are the results. It is evident that the fixed blade broadhead has proven itself to be the preferred broadhead. Why? Because they work and always have and in spite of the new perceived "mechanical advantage", Most hunters stick with what they have confidence in and have always killed game with.

Solid one-piece fixed blade- needs resharpening
16 10.74%
Replaceable razor style fixed blade
80 53.69%
Rear opening mechanical
38 25.50%
Forward opening mechanical
15 10.07%

Voters: 149. This poll is closed

The problem with a silly internet poll is simply this... Most people will vote for what they are currently using, regardless of if they have ever used the other... Give everyone a pack of rages, and everyone a pack of muzzy's, and then make a poll.

Just saying...

DeerandbearhoG 05-05-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by HoytUltratec (Post 3620477)
I dont think an arrow passing completly through the animal is always a plus some times i think its best when the arrow is stuck and everytime that deer its a tree or branch that broad head tears causing more damage and a better blood trail.

I would have to disagree here. A 1'' hole through the lungs will do all the damage necessary to recover a deer within 100yds or less, from the site of impact, you dont need to turn the vitals into hamburger. A non pass through will only do alot of damage if it goes in just the right depth, it will also very likely come back out rather than stay inside the deer. The biggest problem w/ a non pass through is that you will almost always get less blood on the ground , especially if the shot hits high on sharp angles. IMO a pass though is always better than an arrow sticking in the deer.

4evrhtn 05-06-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3622801)
The problem with a silly internet poll is simply this... Most people will vote for what they are currently using, regardless of if they have ever used the other... Give everyone a pack of rages, and everyone a pack of muzzy's, and then make a poll.

Just saying...

The poll asked "Which broadhead do you prefer?"
I have used all the above including Rages and I have found G5 Strikers to be by far more reliable and hassle-free. Therefore I use replaceable razor fixed heads. Why would anyone use a broadhead they feel is inferior to another. Exactly what are you "just saying"? Whether they have used another type in the past is irrelevant to the poll. The question asked is what do you prefer. And if that type is preferred it shows what the majority of hunters trust. Nothing silly about it.

drockw 05-06-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3622863)
I have used all the above including Rages and I have found G5 Strikers to be by far more reliable and hassle-free. Therefore I use replaceable razor fixed heads. Why would anyone use a broadhead they feel is inferior to another. Exactly what are you "just saying"? Whether they have used another type in the past is irrelevant to the poll. The question asked is what do you prefer. And if that type is preferred it shows what the majority of hunters trust. Nothing silly about it.

Its simply biased because of the fact that not everyone has ever even owned or used all of the types... Yes, you said "prefer" but that doesnt mean diddley squat considering most people will obviously put what they are using regardless... The poll shows nothing more than what most people are likely to be using, thus not a good measure at determining what really works the best.

thats great that you like the strikers! I wasnt saying anything bad about any head or choice of another archer either tho.

Most polls are skewed in the direction of what people are currently using, which is likely a fad, or is something that will not be the leader of the polls in years ahead. Obviously, the poll you asked about was going to result in fixed blade razor heads winning. Not because its a fad, but its pretty much a given. More people have them, and have used them forever... You can get a pack of bh's at wally world for 10$, but a pack of rear deploying mechanicals.... not gonna be cheap, which means they are less accessible to the community b/c of price etc.

Anyways, if I offended you by critiquing your poll, I apologize.... Polls are fun, and sometimes useful...

drockw 05-06-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3622863)

How can that not be biased if everyone does not have experience with both??? Preference is one thing, but like I said, how many guys do you think voted one way or the other that hadnt used both??? And i'd be willing to bet that the winning side had less users of both:s12:

drockw 05-06-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG (Post 3622818)
I would have to disagree here. A 1'' hole through the lungs will do all the damage necessary to recover a deer within 100yds or less, from the site of impact, you dont need to turn the vitals into hamburger. A non pass through will only do alot of damage if it goes in just the right depth, it will also very likely come back out rather than stay inside the deer. The biggest problem w/ a non pass through is that you will almost always get less blood on the ground , especially if the shot hits high on sharp angles. IMO a pass though is always better than an arrow sticking in the deer.

I have to agree with you on that account. A broadhead chewing up the insides is GREAT dont get me wrong, but when the deer runs into a thicket and dies without a blood trail, things can get really really tough... Even if both deer went 100 yds and ran the exact same route and died in the same spot, the deer with the pass through is going to at least be easier to find.

ozbowhunter 05-06-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3622801)

Just saying...

give me a pack of rage and you will find them in the bin to much hype makes me uninterested

drockw 05-06-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ozbowhunter (Post 3623030)
give me a pack of rage and you will find them in the bin to much hype makes me uninterested

Thank you for helping to solidify my point:wink:

And that goes both ways, as many people are to enveloped in their own decisions to even thoroughly try anything else, but yet will vote in a poll for their fav... Its not wrong to do that or be that way b/c that is choice, but it definately makes polls and opinions less credible.

podunk kennels 05-06-2010 10:08 AM

A few years ago some hunters wanted to shoot hogs off the bay with their bows. Rage broadheads were getting popular and thats what all of them had when they go to my camp. Out of six hogs none expired with one shot. Most took three four and five shots similar to the buffalo hunt scene in dances with wolves. At one point I went to my truck and unscrewed some thunderheads and they got clean passes and dead hogs. Just my experiences not the final say by any means, no idea how they perform on deer.

annika3 05-06-2010 10:13 AM

Hope that helps.

1 out of 10?:nonono2:

I shoot only 260fps and I am 5 for 5 on passthroughs on big mature Kansas and Iowa bucks over the last few years. I have 2 buddies that hunt with me and they shoot roughly the same speed and they are 5 for 6 and the only one that didn't lodged into the opposite shoulder. That's 10 out of 11.

MeanV2 05-06-2010 11:04 AM

The Rage broadhead has had reported problems with penetration. I hear it from customers on a regular basis. They are one of about 3 mechanicals I would use if I were to choose to use a mechanical, but I personally don't see the big advantage and there are disadvantages to deal with.

I have used Slick Tricks since 03 and have been very satisfied with every part of their performance.

This fall I will undoubtedly have one of my bows setup to again be shooting Grizz Tricks, although one of my bows will be setup with the Reign Broadhead in the quiver. All Stainless steel construction, great flight, and should get good holes with great penetration. The Reign will be a little pricier than Tricks.

Sometimes it's fun to try something new! :D

Dan

ozbowhunter 05-06-2010 11:07 AM

thunderhead 125 grain for the simple reason they work and i have never had a problem with them no hype and plenty of kills works for me

markjenna 05-11-2010 05:08 AM

I have shot thunderheads and mussy's for years. I went ahead and tried a three blade rage last year and shot my first buck with it. I took a 40 yard shot and know I hit it perfect. I waited and then went and looked for blood and found what look like someone took a 5 gallon bucket of blood and dumped it all the way to the deer, that was down 60 yards away. Yes maybe that was one occasion and not typical, but I am going to try again this year. For NOW, I am a believer........ I have never in 20 years seen that much blood.... Good luck.....

wvnimrod 05-11-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by markjenna (Post 3624869)
I took a 40 yard shot and know I hit it perfect. I waited and then went and looked for blood and found what look like someone took a 5 gallon bucket of blood and dumped it all the way to the deer, that was down 60 yards away

Not trying to bash you or Rage,but I wouldn't call a 60 yard tracking job a perfect shot! I have had terrible shots that hit the femoral artery that dumped that kinda blood trail and less than 15 yards,but I wouldn't start recommending that you start aiming at a deers ass!
I agree that RAGE broadheads make a heck of a hole,but so will my
.300win mag. I too like and strive for a short blood trail but with a well placed shot,you will achieve both!

drockw 05-11-2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by wvnimrod (Post 3625159)
Not trying to bash you or Rage,but I wouldn't call a 60 yard tracking job a perfect shot! I have had terrible shots that hit the femoral artery that dumped that kinda blood trail and less than 15 yards,but I wouldn't start recommending that you start aiming at a deers ass!
.300win mag. I too like and strive for a short blood trail but with a well placed shot,you will achieve both!

Id say 60 is fine for a whitetail kill... Thats only what... 30 or so bounds by a deer? a 60 for a human is under 10 seconds, and for a deer id assume half of that so they can cover some ground if they have a bit of open room to run.

Ive hit some deer perfectly and theyve went that far.

Although in the past 2 only 1 has made it past about 45;)

Not arguing, just saying I wouldnt consider 60 un-acceptable

annika3 05-12-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by wvnimrod (Post 3625159)

Do you understand deer and how far deer can go after shooting them "perfect".

I have shot many double lung or heart shots and most all of them go at least 40-80 yards on these hits. Just because you make a perfect shot doesn't mean they're falling over after 20 yards.

wvnimrod 05-12-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3625232)
Although in the past 2 only 1 has made it past about 45;)

Not arguing, just saying I wouldnt consider 60 un-acceptable

60 yards is actually fine,
I in no way ment that as an insult,just an example.
My point is although you had an awsome bloodtrail the deer was recovered no sooner than with any other broadhead(ie.your last 2 deer)one went 60yards(rage)the other 45yards(i guess from your first post a muzzy or thunderhead)
I just think that alot of newbee's to bowhunting can and will get sucked in by all the Hype on the Rage and think they will make up for lack of shot placement(practice)the rage is a decent broadhead if your bow has enough KE to use them and you make good shot placement,just as with any other broadhead.
And yes Annika3 I do know how far a deer will travel after a perfect shot,and thats my point the Rage although it may or maynot leave a good bloodtrail it WILL not bring down a deer any sooner than any other GOOD broadhead.But with all the Hype you hear about them you would think they killed like a rifle,they DO NOT!