Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are crossbows good or bad for hunting? >

Are crossbows good or bad for hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are crossbows good or bad for hunting?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
bigcountry

If cross guns are ok, and states only reason to allow them is

1.) introduces new people to the sport
2.) needed to reduce population
3.) there is no tradition or accomplishment attached with bow hunting

Then, why not make hunting season, weapon of choice? I suggested this before and the arrow gun shooter freaked out and said no the orange army. Thought it was rather comical.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I think weapons restrictions should be based on proximity to housing, (and I mean gun VS bow, not shotgun vs rifle). I dont think it should be determined by the time of year. what difference does it make if a deer is killed w/ a rifle oct 15 or nov 15th? what difference does it make if hunting is easy or not? It should be up to the hunter to decide how easy it should be. Set a block of time when deer can be legally killed, issue tags, and let people fill em the way they want. Make urban/suburban areas bow only to satisfy safety concerns. No stupid shotgun only restrictions, and for crying out loud, get rid of pointless freak'n ML season! Anything else is just PC BS. JMHO.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Personally I think weapons restrictions should be based on proximity to housing, (and I mean gun VS bow, not shotgun vs rifle). I dont think it should be determined by the time of year. what difference does it make if a deer is killed w/ a rifle oct 15 or nov 15th? what difference does it make if hunting is easy or not? It should be up to the hunter to decide how easy it should be. Set a block of time when deer can be legally killed, issue tags, and let people fill em the way they want. Make urban/suburban areas bow only to satisfy safety concerns. No stupid shotgun only restrictions, and for crying out loud, get rid of pointless freak'n ML season! Anything else is just PC BS. JMHO.
Well said. If it has nothing to do with sport and tradition, then why not. But if it is about sporting tradition, then why crossgun anyway? Or even modern compounds?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Well said. If it has nothing to do with sport and tradition, then why not. But if it is about sporting tradition, then why crossgun anyway? Or even modern compounds?
Exactly, personally I dont think its really about tradition, and i never really understood why hunting is referred to as a "sport". To me, its about finding game, and bringing it home. Sometimes its challenging, sometimes its easy, but it rarely has anything to do w/ the weapon im carrying.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Well I used a xbow for the past several yrs. My bow wasn't the fastest out there but was dead balls deadly out to 35 yards. A big reason they get a bad rap from alot of people is they are easy to shoot, just like a gun which many people have shot at some time in their life so its more natural to start with and you really don't have to worry about your form and other things.

The power stoke just isn't there for alot of crossbows. They are like bottle rockets, they come screaming out hauling the mail and fizzle off. You have the exception here for some shooting 350fps plus.

I personally don't care what you use for bowhunting as long as you are proficient with it, and you take ethical shots with it.

I do know most xbows are heavy, loud, and can be cumbersome in the stand. I also didn't have as much fun shooting it as I do my compound. I would shoot another if something limited me to not doing vertical bows. Are they they cheating or good or bad for the sport? depends on what you use to hunt will alter the answer.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Well I used a xbow for the past several yrs. My bow wasn't the fastest out there but was dead balls deadly out to 35 yards. A big reason they get a bad rap from alot of people is they are easy to shoot, just like a gun which many people have shot at some time in their life so its more natural to start with and you really don't have to worry about your form and other things.

The power stoke just isn't there for alot of crossbows. They are like bottle rockets, they come screaming out hauling the mail and fizzle off. You have the exception here for some shooting 350fps plus.

I personally don't care what you use for bowhunting as long as you are proficient with it, and you take ethical shots with it.

I do know most xbows are heavy, loud, and can be cumbersome in the stand. I also didn't have as much fun shooting it as I do my compound. I would shoot another if something limited me to not doing vertical bows. Are they they cheating or good or bad for the sport? depends on what you use to hunt will alter the answer.
But you missed one point. Xbow or Crossgun hunting isn't bowhunting. LOL I just couldn't resist. LOL
Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by davidmil
But you missed one point. Xbow or Crossgun hunting isn't bowhunting. LOL I just couldn't resist. LOL
Everyone takes the whole xbow vs verticle bow too serious.

Its the same as me telling you that you are driving wrong cause I have a motorcycle and you a truck. The both do the same thing basically and have their advantages and disadvantages.

Or if you wanna look at it comparing a bow. Why do y ou choose to shoot a bow? Not good enough to stalk and kill your game with your bare hands? Gotta use that fancy pointy stick hurling contraption to put meat on the table?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

imo-and this includes compound bows,recurves,trad. bows,crossbows,shotguns,rifles,etc... the only reason they can be bad is from the person taking/shooting unethical,careless,etc...shots on animals-period!!!