Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first Bow

Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Spike

Default first Bow

I am looking for my first compound bow. I am asking for your opinion on a not to expensive but dependable bow. leave me the name and price of the bow. thanks for your help.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will probably get many MINE is the best.
Look for a Bow IN YOUR PRICE range.
If it feels good in your hand & comes in the adjustable range you want, go for it.
Tons of Good Bows out there.

I personally shoot Dartons but have family members shooting Bear, PSE, Darton.

Your biggest advertisers seem to be Mathews, Hoyt, Parker & a few more.
MOST expensive doesn;t mean your going to do much better in the hunting end.

My current Bow on sale was $99 regular $260 I think. I've killed Buffalo, Elk, many Whitetails & other Biggame with it in the past 5-6 years. Look at your local Archery shops when possible & if the price is in the ball park from mail order buy from them as you usually get decent service from a good dealer. Check out Bass Pro & Cabelas plus Name brand Archery Mfg. on the net & you can AT LEAST SEE the models & their prices. HOW if feels in "your" hand is the clue. If you like the feel & draw & it's in your price-buy it-don't worry to much about the NAME BRAND, especially for your 1st.. Good luck.
My other 2 Bows were top of the line Dartons when I purchased them.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of the best shooting bows out there at a reasonable price is the PSE Bowmadness XS. You can get this bow in a package that includes a whisker biscuit, fiber optic sight, quiver, peep sight, string loop for $599. The bow by itself is $499.

The PSE Brute LT is a hundred bucks less and though not quite as fast or quiet is still one heck of a bow for the money. It comes with the same package for $499.

Both of these bows have nice straight risers so they settle well in your hand, they have very thin torque reducing grips, and both come with factory installed string stops.

If I were looking for a budget first bow these two would be high on my list. These two bows are very impressive for the money they cost.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

After lots of research and shooting different brands,The one i sugest shooting and checking out is the Martin bengal,or martin cheetah,Both bows are under $400 and shoot smooth no handshock etc.I have a mathews switchback XT,and bought a martin for my son,Shoots VERY MUCH the same..
Hope this helps...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Typical Buck

First you have to decide how much you want to spend.

Then go to a pro shop and shoot every bow they have in your price range. Decide which feels best to YOU and buy that bow, regardless of what everyone else recommends.

Good luck and welcome to the archery addiction!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cartman308
First you have to decide how much you want to spend.

Then go to a pro shop and shoot every bow they have in your price range. Decide which feels best to YOU and buy that bow, regardless of what everyone else recommends.

Good luck and welcome to the archery addiction!!!

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. Nobody can tell you what bow feels best for YOU! You need to get the bow that feels best to you. Just make sure it fits you (draw length, weight range).
Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of your choice will depend on the weight you want to pull and your draw length.

There are many good choices depending on what you are looking for including different price ranges from several manufacturers.

Check out, BowTech, Diamond, PSE, Hoyt, and Bear. Good Luck in what is a very hard choice. If you want more specific suggestions give us more details

Dan
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
One of the best shooting bows out there at a reasonable price is the PSE Bowmadness XS. You can get this bow in a package that includes a whisker biscuit, fiber optic sight, quiver, peep sight, string loop for $599. The bow by itself is $499.

The PSE Brute LT is a hundred bucks less and though not quite as fast or quiet is still one heck of a bow for the money. It comes with the same package for $499.

Both of these bows have nice straight risers so they settle well in your hand, they have very thin torque reducing grips, and both come with factory installed string stops.

If I were looking for a budget first bow these two would be high on my list. These two bows are very impressive for the money they cost.
I have the PSE Bow Madness XS
Could not say how great it is.
Very quiet and forgiving not to mention fast!
I would definitly recomend this bow to anyone.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Chrisa
I am looking for my first compound bow. I am asking for your opinion on a not to expensive but dependable bow. leave me the name and price of the bow. thanks for your help.
Check out a few bow shops to see what you are most interested in. Also check out the archery stuff in the classifieds on the forum..
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mathews archery