Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

09 Sentinel

Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default 09 Sentinel

Update on my tuning issues with the Sentinel. Looks like the problem was more user induced than bow induced.

Was having major torque issues with the grip I was using and this was the root of the problems. Thanks TFox and bigcountry for all the help.

Since I've changed my grip and some minor form issues the bow has been shooting well. I've got bare shafts hitting with my fletched shafts at 20 yards and BH's hitting the same POI with FP's at 40 yards.

With the form changes I have it tuned with the rest maybe 1/32nd inside of center.

Last edited by mez; 03-10-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mez, My hat is off to you! It takes a big man to admit he might have been part of the problem. The roller guard bows are IMO more sensitive to torque, but that doesn't mean the bow is faulty or untunable.

If that were true, it would Not tune and shoot great for the biggest % of owners. I never owned an Admiral, but the Sentinel & Captain that I owned were 2 of the easiest bows to tune and shoot I've ever shot.

I do believe the Flx guard will make roller guard bows tunable for all who want to shoot one.

Again! I'm glad you got the issues you were having resolved.

Dan
Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MeanV2
Mez, My hat is off to you! It takes a big man to admit he might have been part of the problem. The roller guard bows are IMO more sensitive to torque, but that doesn't mean the bow is faulty or untunable.

Well, yes and no. Its not untunable. I have tuned mine also. Tad unforgiving for a longer ATA and long BH bow. But the string/cam tracks inside by 1/8". I used my spot hogg laser to see this on mine and another sentinel. I am sure this is an undesirable feature.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Well, yes and no. Its not untunable. I have tuned mine also. Tad unforgiving for a longer ATA and long BH bow. But the string/cam tracks inside by 1/8". I used my spot hogg laser to see this on mine and another sentinel. I am sure this is an undesirable feature.
I know dozens that did Not have those issues. The biggest variable why the same bow will or will Not tune in somebody's hands or tunes slightly different in another person's hands is.............

The shooter!

Which is an very much a part of the equation. If the Bow won't tune in a machine, then it would have to be the bow.

Mine I set up with Lasers & Levels and never had to move a thing once I started the tuning process. Grouped field points and BH's out to 60 yards.

My Captain tuned the same way.

Guess I'm Lucky!

Dan
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I know dozens that did Not have those issues. The biggest variable why the same bow will or will Not tune in somebody's hands or tunes slightly different in another person's hands is.............

The shooter!

Which is an very much a part of the equation. If the Bow won't tune in a machine, then it would have to be the bow.

Mine I set up with Lasers & Levels and never had to move a thing once I started the tuning process. Grouped field points and BH's out to 60 yards.

My Captain tuned the same way.

Guess I'm Lucky!

Dan
Dan, I suggest, you go over to AT and type in some questions about the sentinel. Its fairly well known, (after I bought one). Surprised with all your experience you didn't hear. Even Pat, and poorman admit, most have to tune to the inside. Guess your the last to know and hear. It happens. Don't feel bad, I bought one before finding out.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

What 1/32"

Most? I am sure most have less than perfect form, and/or perfect grip. I know I definitely fall in that category. Hence why I said I must be Lucky

At least they made changes where everyone should be able to tune the Bow down the middle now. Even those that impart a slight torque or a lot of torque on the bow.

I'm just speaking from my own experience and I do talk to one or 2 guys a year.

Dan
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned with my 10 Sentinel that you can't use a laser to tune them, at least not an EZ eye laser, not off the string. It's darn close off the limb bolts. Mine tuned just a touch, like a 16th inside of 13/16ths.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'm about 1/32nd.

Was told by Bowtech directly when having issues to not be surprised if I had to go 1/4 inch to the inside.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by mez
I'm about 1/32nd.

Was told by Bowtech directly when having issues to not be surprised if I had to go 1/4 inch to the inside.
Hogwash, horton didn't have to do any such thing. He even talked to a guy or two.
Its so easy with him its almost wrong.

Glad you got it worked out. I changed over to feathers and wraps in the last few weeks in case I have to get close to the riser. Feathers always were a tad more forgiving in tight quarters. Man, they have gone up in price.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mez
I'm about 1/32nd.
Mez, I'd say you are pretty close to average, 1/32" to 1/16" Tuning bows has a lot to do with several factors. Arrow spine, foc, form, grip, etc., etc. I rarely have trouble tuning any bow, but I have seen some that were a PIA though.

Like I said if a Bow won't tune on a machine then I'd think it is definitely all the bows fault, but if it tunes on a machine it is hard to say the bow is at fault when there are so many other variables involved.

1/32" to 1/16" is well within spec as far as I am concerned and given all the variables I'd think is darn near amazing.

BowTech is not the only company using roller guards, but they are the only ones with the FLX guard. I think it will end up being the answer to many tuning issues.

Dan