Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
arrow weight question >

arrow weight question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow weight question

Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default arrow weight question

I use the Beman MFX Real Tree arrows with 100 gr field tips for a total arrow eight of 405 grains. I shoot G5 100 gr broadheads. I must have 20+ arrows and would like to make them a bit heavier plus have a higher FOC %. I tried heavier broadheads but they were not only heavier but larger and just did not fly well.

Is there anything on the market that could be installed inside the arrow from the nock end to make the tip heavier? See my set up below.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Spike

Not to hijack the thread, but maybe a good question. What are the advantages/disadvantages of shooting arrows that are 400's versus 340's, using the same 100 grain broadhead??
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by suffolkbowhunter
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe a good question. What are the advantages/disadvantages of shooting arrows that are 400's versus 340's, using the same 100 grain broadhead??
You can put a hundred grain insert on it.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

How do I install them? Can I put them in from the nock end?

Regarding the 340's, I have 20+ arrows so I'm not gonna change. Just looking for a solution for what I have.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can install 100 grain brass inserts if you were building new arrows, but with arrows that are already built that option is a difficult one at best.

Easiest way is to use a heavier broadhead, and that will Not give you a huge jump in FOC.

Dan
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I spoke with knowledgeable tech from 3 Rivers Archery. I have ordered a doz brass inserts, 75 g Easton Brass HIT that can snap off to 50 gr. I'll use a thin epoxy and load the inserts from the nock end. I plan to do this on just 2 arrows, one with 50 gr and the other w/ 75 gr and then paper tune the bare shafts. Then based on how this works out determine what is the best option. Maybe I just stay as is.
Rob
Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the arrows already have inserts in,it'll be difficult to put 100gr brass inserts in to replace them.If you want more weight and FOC without using the inserts,you could use weight tubes and a 125gr head.

If you do use the 100gr inserts,it will weaken the spine on your arrows...just something to think about.

I have a doz. Beman MFX Calssic 400's that I shoot off my 54lb recurve and those things slam! Total weight with a 125gr point is 530gr and they fly beautifully
Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Glad I'm still scouting . . .

for a possible changeover to carbons. These aluminum arrows, in the same size and weight for fifteen years, keep looking better and less complicated.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check with Lancaster Archery Supply. I kknow Gold Tip makes 10, 20, and 50 grain weights that can be scewed into the back of inserts from the nock end of the arrow. There is a special, very long allen wrench to do the job.

There may be other weights by other manufacturers as well. Cartel comes to mind.