Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Should we feed the deer or not? >

Should we feed the deer or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should we feed the deer or not?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should we feed the deer or not?

Since we have gotten our share of snow this winter, especially here in the northeast with 2 feet on the ground and more on the way. My question is, should we feed the deer or let them fend for themselves in hope of surviving this bad winter weather?
Here's an article and I was wondering what some of you thought.

DEERFEEDING
Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been feeding them!!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

hmmm....good question! imo - here in ohio, with all the farm fields, i don't see where it would hurt because of all the corn,beans,wheat,etc... that doesn't get picked up,harvested. they have all that to eat if they need to. with their excellent sense of smell they can smell food that's under snow. when they graze or eat they always consume the best(freshest,most nutrient part,quality) of whatever they happen to eating/grazing on before any older less quality food, but they will still eat no matter what is available to them. feeders make it easier for them to find food, yes, but they will still roam and eat whatever they come across. as far as cwd, no one knows much anything about it and i don't think it has anything to do with winter feeding (they're just speculating/guessing it may) but i could be wrong. no one knows yet. look at bird feeders in the winter. does it harm the birds? i don't think so. just giving my opinion!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

No -if deer need supplimental feeding to get thru the winter, there are too many for that particular habitat.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Told my buddy that he is just creating a welfare program from the deer. And we all know how well welfare/fodstamp programs work.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Spike

If you feel it may help a few deer in your area survive the winter, go for it; otherwise they will find food regardless.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

....in the winter the deers metabolisem has slowed down ..they need fiber and no protein ..it can get very expensive feeding deer ,once u start don't stop before spring ..we have deer yards up north and the deer go there every year some yards have over 100 deer so feeding them can be very expensive ..best deer feed for deer in the winter is PURINA 5644 ..i also give them cedar branches it keeps them warm .
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you start be sure and keep it up until all danger is passed.

Dan