Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Just Curious - First Bow... I'm sure it's a repeat, sorry... >

Just Curious - First Bow... I'm sure it's a repeat, sorry...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just Curious - First Bow... I'm sure it's a repeat, sorry...

Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Spike

Default Just Curious - First Bow... I'm sure it's a repeat, sorry...

What would you say is the best bow for a beginner?
Not sure what it would be used for exactly, so something versatile would be nice.
Just assume that I don't know anything about bows and I don't have anybody at the moment who has one I could borrow or whatever.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are So many Good bows for a Beginner it would be impossible to name them all. BowTech/Diamond both have Bow packages that are a good place to start. Also Bear offers some nice bows for the money.

Decide what you can/want to spend then shoot some bows and Look at your options. After a while there will be a clear winner emerge that is Best for YOU!

Dan
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Spike

take a look at the Diamond Razor Edge
Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
There are So many Good bows for a Beginner it would be impossible to name them all. BowTech/Diamond both have Bow packages that are a good place to start. Also Bear offers some nice bows for the money.

Decide what you can/want to spend then shoot some bows and Look at your options. After a while there will be a clear winner emerge that is Best for YOU!

Dan
Can we make this a sticky so we don't have to post it another 10,000 times?

All kidding aside, shooting a bunch of different bows in your price range is the ONLY way to find the perfect bow for you. I can tell you what I like, but it really does not matter if you don't like it.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I got my son a Diamond Razor Edge and he is 9yrs old/almost 10.. It is set at 27 lbs right now until he gets more comfortable shooting the bow and gets his form down.. The thing I like about this bow is he should be able to shoot it for a few years.. The bow has different limbs that allow for you to turn up the poundage (i'm hoping he get 3-4 years out of it before he is ready to upgrade).. Its a great kids/youth/ladies bow..
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Spike

i am 15 years old and i just bought a martin cheetah its really nice smoothe quite and fast. the poundage goes from 55 to 70lb and the draw length from 25 to 30 i like it alot and i could group really good with it the first day a shot it.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

check out the reflex line of bows. i believe they are owned by hoyt. not a bad bow for a beginner!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not are all the same

I went to a beginners bow at first. I wasn't sure I'd shoot for long. It was years since I shot last and I had some shoulder problems, previously. I wasn't for wasting a lot of money in the investment.

My next bow, I fit the bow to my price, as a bowhunter and not a 3D shooter.
I wanted a good enough bow; didn't need the finest bow on the market and the added money. In fact, I don't charge my hobby costs. It's either cash or a payment on a credit card within the month.

My bow shoots as good as I'll shoot, and I practice enough. I have my own practice lot; a small one lane shooting place.

On my last bow, the one major criteria I had wasn't the bow. It was making sure, in my area, I had a place to practice. In my mind, the practice place was more critical than getting a better bow.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on your age I would go with a bow with adjustable draw length. Just start shooting different bows and go with the one you like.