Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow care

Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb Bow care

I was wondering what kind of care everyone does to they're bows when they put them up for the season.A buddy of mine rubs down the entire bow with canola oil paying close attn. to the hardware, says it not only keeps it lubed up but prevents any rusting on the screws,etc. and wax the livin heck out of his string the quickly passes a lighter flame over it, just enough to begin melting the wax, says it penetrates and then protects.

So what do you guys/gals do?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not advise putting a lighter on the string to melt the wax. If you rub it fast enough with your fingers or a small piece of leather it melts and penetrates fine. I never use Canola oil either, isn't that for cooking. Rem Oil or Non Scented Outers oil, a very light coat on metal parts should be fine. The bow can also be broke down to lube the pivots with grease every year or two. Keep it out of extreme heat during storage.

I never really put my bow away for long periods, I like to practice to stay in shape and to stay accurate.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

My shooting season is year long! Can't keep it out of my hands.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If u have ever seen how quickly string material burns, u will NEVER even risk a flame catching a strand! Serving burn slowly and controlably, but a strand of string... Polar opposite...

I realisticly put well over a thousand shots a month on my target bows and will usually only wax my string 2-3 times in it's life... Remember, wax collects grit and grime, so wax build up between the string strands can be more bad than good sometimes... Just coat it lightly and u will be fine...

As far as oiling/lubing bow parts, I usually don't unless there is a problem.

Not much stuff can go wrong on a bow if u think about it, and they can take lots of abuse(you figure that out when u shoot alot competitively, or hunt in rough weather/locations). Make sure your bolts are snug, check for any string damage, and most bows are good to go...
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I keep my strings waxed (don't over do it) and keep the bow clean. I shoot year round so I really never put in storage.

Definitely Keep any flame away from the string!!

Dan