Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Form Problem

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Spike

Default Form Problem

When shooting I frequently have the string slap my front forearm. I am guessing that my hand/wrist alignment is off. Any suggestions to correct this would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally the problem is either incorrect hand position or the bow's draw length is too long---or both. Without gettin too windy I'd recommend doing a search on "form" over on www.archerytalk.com. Look for posts by Nut&Bolts. He's a real guru.

Just a short version, but if the palm of your hand touches the riser or you grip the bow in any way then your hand is not positioned right.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

There can be serveral reasons why this happening.

One, you are gripping the bow with too much hand/palming the grip.

Two, your dl might me too long and is not allowing to shoot with a slightly bent/relaxed bow arm.

There are a few other reasons that could be the problem, but being a gambling man, I am betting it is one of these two as they are the most common.

Post a few pictures of you at full draw, it will help a bunch.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for the info. I think that I may be gripping the bow too much AND have too long of a draw length. Looks like I have some work to do. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by imbac
Thanks guys for the info. I think that I may be gripping the bow too much AND have too long of a draw length. Looks like I have some work to do. Thanks again!
Yep! Make sure your hand & arm position are correct then get your Draw length set to the correct length. IMHO you are better just a little short than any too long. Especially for Hunting!!

Dan
Old 02-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

At full draw look at the angle of your wrist, it should be straight, if your wrist is bent, as if you are trying to get the palm of your hand looking forward, then you have a form issue, this brings your forearm into the line of the strings path, and ouch that hurts!

Causes:
- to long a draw length
- to much draw weight
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Spike

Changed my grip today. 30 shots were taken without forearm being hit by the string. Problem solved! Thanks again guys for your advice. I still plan to have my draw length looked at by a pro. Thanks again.