Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Whats wrong with Mathews dealers? >

Whats wrong with Mathews dealers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats wrong with Mathews dealers?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Whats wrong with Mathews dealers?

I went to a few bow shops looking to buy a new bow a few weeks ago and the Mathews guys are insane. Two of the shops I went to that sold Mathews bows talked trash about every bow that wasn't a Mathews and they sold the other brands! They did everything but hold me at gun point to get me to buy one. Do they make more profit on the Mathews bows? They shot fine and all but something about them just didn't tickle me. The guys almost turned me against anything by Mathews by being so pushy. Thier shops definanly lost my business. I like a certain brands of boots but I don't try to force everyone else to buy them. My brother and I went looking for him a new bow with his tax return money and got the same treatment yesterday at a shop close to him. He bought a Mathews after telling the first shop owner he was an idiot and drove 70 miles to a friendlier shop to buy the same bow. Whats wrong with these people?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Spike

Just find whats best for you almost all the bows anymore are amazing you just need to find what fits you best.I have seen that same thing at every pro shop I've been to.most bow owners are all about what they like all else is junk.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Spike

I HATE that sort of thing. Went to buy a new car for my wife, I had Brand X as a commute car which was fine with me, but we were looking at Brand Y because I like them. (I'm a professional mechanic) The salesman saw I had Brand X and he proceeded to tell us what a real POS my Brand X was. After a bit we politely thanked him for his time, drove to the next big town north and bought a brand new Brand Y from another dealership. That clown lost BIG bucks on that comission. People are idiots.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just because. . .

a business is in business, doesn't necessarily mean they know how to be in business.

Archery is a niche business. More than most in the business would admit to outsiders. A much tougher business, in my opinion, for a "company" new to the problems of running a business. And every small business has inventory problems. That's why many will specialize in one or two bows. Rarely many, because of its limited market, will it handle many different bow companies.

Some archery shops may be in a smaller area, with not enough locals to adequate support a running concern. Some areas might have the population, but no archery range, or place to practice, within thirty or fifty miles. Those sale pressures can be easily passed on to the archery shopper.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being involved in archery I get to see a lot of the publications about the business such as Archery Trade magazine. Mathews presses the point that dealers can make more profit per bow than many of the other brands. Pretty much tells the story for me.

Then you get all the fanboys that think it's not only the best, but the only bow to shoot and you're something less than a man if you shoot something else.

Well, I'll tell you, IMO, there are many different brands and models made that will do the same job, but for hundreds less. Afterall, all a bow does is launch an arrow at a given velocity. The person behind the bow still has to do the shooting.

Buy and shoot what you like, but be courteous enough and respectful enough toward others and realize that not everybody has or prefers to drop nearly a grand for just a bow when $300 to $500 will suit their desires just as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Often times people tend to push what they shoot.... A guy that I know who works at a sporting goods store (works some in their bow dept) said most of the techs there shoot Matthews because they give the most generous promo type discount - in comparison to other brands/types... Of course I don't know if that is or was the case....
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your dealer would be bad no matter what brand bow that they sold. My dealer will sale you whatever you want to buy.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont even listen to the dealers, half the time even they dont know what there talking about. I do my own research on the bow and buy it.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. Went into a local shop to check it out. They drove me right to the Mathews. I asked about the Bowtechs and they let me shoot the Destroyer but then put me right back on the Mathews. That hour I shot the Destroyer, Monster, Reezen 6.0, Drenalin, and Z7. Ummm let me guess. He wanted to sell a Mathews. That was fine. I learned that I really didn't fit a Mathews and two days ago I went to a different shop and shot:
PSE: axe 6, vendetta, bow madness, bow madness xs
Bowtech: 101st airborne, Sentinal
Diamond: Marquis, The Rock, Black Ice
Browning: Illusion
Limbsaver: Dead zone
Mathews: Monster
The guy basically stood there and handed me bow after bow to shoot. It was great. When I started getting tired we sat and talked a bit then I went back to shooting. By the end of it I was walking by the bows and just taking them off the wall walking over to the target taking a shot or two and putting it back comparing bows. They never said a thing. I spent 3 hours shooting all these bows. Yea my arm was ripped yesterday morning. BUT! I will go back there. I'd pay extra just to have that type of service again.