HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Mechanical VS Fixed Blade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/315838-mechanical-vs-fixed-blade.html)

fishinty 01-25-2010 03:18 PM

I like rage broadheads because of the penetration and giant holes it leaves in deer.

EnglishHope 01-25-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by superstrutter (Post 3562913)
I killed two deer with the same broadhead this season and could have killed a third with it. I use 100 gr. Spitfires. I just clean them up and sharpen the blades. Just about every deer I kill with them are complete pass throughs, making it easy to reuse them.

It mainly depends on what broadhead you use, rocket broadheads (expandable), bend easily and you have to buy more, although they do leave a good size hole, but they bend easily.

fishintay 01-25-2010 03:55 PM

I switched from Muzzy to Rage and it has been the best switch I have made in all of my years of bowhunting.The rages are more accurate and shoot alot better and have a bigger cutting diameter than those muzzys.

AR Bowhunter 01-25-2010 04:38 PM

I can not really say, I've never shot an expandable.

Howler 01-25-2010 05:14 PM

[QUOTE][What do you think works best mechanical or fixed blade broadheads I've used both and I've heard the arguements from both sides I want to hear everyone elses opinion and experiences. I now prefer fixed because they seem to to more damage when inside a running deer./QUOTE] IF you're arrows with fixed blade broadheads are staying inside, NOT PASSING THROUGH, a deer sized critter, then you'd best stick with fixed/COC broadheads because apparently you're setup isn't producing much KE to start with, and going to any of the mechs. would only make penetration worse.
I prefer COC broadheads. I always get complete pass throughs, even on elk, and that's what I prefer. I prefer to be able to locate my arrow after a shot and have a chance to determine how good the shot was from the evidence left on the shaft. And IMO, two holes are better than one!

kldad06 01-25-2010 05:28 PM

All it takes is 1 time for a mechanical to not open and you will kick yourself for not using fixed. If you can't get a fixed bh to group right then your bow is out of tune. I perfectly tuned bow will shoot a fixed bh exactly where the field point goes. I suggest a fixed. I wouldn't buy something that is not 100% opening everytime, especially when they make such good fixed. Just my opinions. Thunderhead or Muzzy.

OldBucks&BigBass 01-25-2010 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=Howler;3563021]

[What do you think works best mechanical or fixed blade broadheads I've used both and I've heard the arguements from both sides I want to hear everyone elses opinion and experiences. I now prefer fixed because they seem to to more damage when inside a running deer./QUOTE] IF you're arrows with fixed blade broadheads are staying inside, NOT PASSING THROUGH, a deer sized critter, then you'd best stick with fixed/COC broadheads because apparently you're setup isn't producing much KE to start with, and going to any of the mechs. would only make penetration worse.
I prefer COC broadheads. I always get complete pass throughs, even on elk, and that's what I prefer. I prefer to be able to locate my arrow after a shot and have a chance to determine how good the shot was from the evidence left on the shaft. And IMO, two holes are better than one!
his setup was a Hoyt with a 70 pound draw weight 400 grain arrows with 125 grain broadheads and the shots were all under 25 yards. Tell me that's not a set up for pass throughs. With 125 grain thunderheads I've seen both shoulders broken with one arrow. Still with spitfires no pass through just can't handle the bone as well as the thunder heads do.

diamondrack 01-25-2010 06:26 PM

I shoot Rage 3-blade... They are the cats a**!! My personal opinion is to shoot what you feel comfortable, if you question mechanicals then go with fixed and vise versa... I shot fixed for all my year until about 2 years ago when the hype of the Rage came out (I was one of those that swore by fixed blades) and I tried them with great success... They are point blank accurate and leave one heck of a hole in an animal... I started shooting Thunderheads and didn't really care for them, then I went to Muzzy's and once again not a fan.. Then I started shooting the G5 montecs, these are by far my favorite fixed blade but didn't care for the bloodtrails.. So I switch to mechanicals and now shoot the Rage!! I have killed and seen plenty of deer killed with the rage broadhead to believe in them, they are the real deal and that is the truth...

Howler 01-25-2010 06:33 PM

[QUOTEI now prefer fixed because they seem to to more damage when inside a running deer.][/QUOTE] Which is it then Oldbucks, YOUR set up or your friends set-up? You've now changed your story!! You started off the thread saying that YOU NOW PREFER FIXED!! And then in your last post you say "his set-up"! So which is it, yours or his or........
Either way, if a fixed blade COC broadhead is staying in a deer, then either both shoulders were hit or you're having penetration issues from lack of tuning or something. I get pass throughs on elk with a 375 gr. arrow with 100 gr. Magnus snuffers, including a complete pass through on an elk at 51 yards last year. SO, you tell me how it is that you or your freind can't get an arrow through a whitetail at 25 yards. Don't make since now does it! Somethings amiss!!

iamyourhuckleberry 01-25-2010 07:01 PM

This one time at band camp....!

Do your homework-know your bow-have confidence shooting it. Keep it close, keep it personal, keep it tight, hit em under the spine and through the ribs. Do this and any broadhead shot from a well tuned bow with sufficient KE will get the job done.

And for the record, my mechs suit me just fine. I could not have killed those animals taken with my bow any better!

"That's all I have to say about that"- Forrest Gump