Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Goin on Archery Black Bear Hunt >

Goin on Archery Black Bear Hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Goin on Archery Black Bear Hunt

Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RonPenner
Hey good luck, enjoy the hunt, if you've never hunted black bears before, get ready for the rush when you see your first black shadow moving about back in the woods or hear the first tell tale "Crack" of an approaching bear...you are going to have a blast!!!!
Ain't that the Truth!!!

Dan
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have stuck to my whitetail set-up as did everyone that was on my canada black bear hunt.. 2/4 used mechanicals.. Rage and I believe Spitfire.. They do the job, honestly if you hit the bear where you should, you will have no problems with your penatration and kill opportunity.. As many have mentioned bears are not hard to kill, stick then in the lungs and or heart and most likely you will see your bear die within 30-50 yards.. I honestly think they die a ton quicker then your average whitetail... Be more concerned with proper judgement of the bear because that is the tricky part. Good luck
Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Good point on the Judgement of size diamondrack, they are tough to judge especially your first one!
I didn't comment on setup, everyone has done a very adequate job of that already but will say that I've shot numerous bears with the same setup i use for whitetails, I'm a fixed blade guy but have heard positive comments about expandables on bears too!! Earlier on a great comment was made about learning the anatomy of the bear, be mindful of when you want to shoot, many times bear walk in and quickly lay down, this changes everything, I don't shoot until they stand, also with that big thick heavy coat, a blood trail can be a problem so two things, if you are offered a follow up shot, take it, and watch where they go and listen for the crash or moan, it'll make finding your bear easier....just my two cents worth.....man I'm pumped for you, getting me all wound up just thinking of getting out there in a few months!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RonPenner
Good point on the Judgement of size diamondrack, they are tough to judge especially your first one!
I didn't comment on setup, everyone has done a very adequate job of that already but will say that I've shot numerous bears with the same setup i use for whitetails, I'm a fixed blade guy but have heard positive comments about expandables on bears too!! Earlier on a great comment was made about learning the anatomy of the bear, be mindful of when you want to shoot, many times bear walk in and quickly lay down, this changes everything, I don't shoot until they stand, also with that big thick heavy coat, a blood trail can be a problem so two things, if you are offered a follow up shot, take it, and watch where they go and listen for the crash or moan, it'll make finding your bear easier....just my two cents worth.....man I'm pumped for you, getting me all wound up just thinking of getting out there in a few months!!!!!!
Great advise!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

kwilson, Like stated by me and others IMHO either fixed or mechanicals will work, but be sure and clear your setup with the outfitter before going.

That's one bridge you don't want to cross after you get there.

Dan
Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Spike

Try a Slick Trick mag. They are tough as nails, flies great. Made of German steel . I use them alot here in Idaho. This same company has Razor trick ( cut on contact ) or one called Griz Trick. check out their web site.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had to laugh at myself when I was on my bear hunt. When they put me out, I had to walk about 1 mile back to my stand and the next guy was set out 10 miles away. I found myself walking back in knowing I was the only human within 10 miles of myself.

As I sat in my stand, a Pennsylvania whitetail hunter and I see something black I said out loud, " What the **** is that? When reality kicked in, so did adrenaline. I've seen a ton of bears from my stand in PA but in the June green woods of Quebec, it really threw me.

PS, yeah, the death moan sucked.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I have some 100 gr Slick Tricks that I shoot for BH tuning.

Guess they don't put the death moan on the TV hunting shows!

Cool mount Rob!