Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Button Bucks?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed my share, mostly when I was young. I don't target them but I wouldn't beat myself up for shooting one, either.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts go along with big country, I haven't killed one in many many years. On my place I have taught my wife and son to really watch out and not shoot a bb. There are plenty of does out there to take no need in shooting the upcoming crop of bucks.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my early years shot a couple by accident. After 53 years of Bowhunting I make sure it's an adult & not this years Deer-button or doe.... Actually, this year I passed on ALL antlerless deer even though I had a couple bonus tags. I just didn't have it in me. Nothing wrong to those that do but I guess it's just that I "have" been fortunate to have bagged many a Whitetail & many other types of Biggame.
I passed on some decent Bucks too, this being one at 15 yds that offered every possible shot you could think of. I shot him with the camera...
Attached Thumbnails Button Bucks?-hpim1796.jpg  
Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ahunter....

I agree with your outlook, and I applaud it.

One thing that makes things difficult, here....is this.....

Come late Nov., let's say you have 3 deer coming towards you. You have what appears to be a doe and her two fawns. Around here, I can tell you I've had this happen a lot. What I've experienced is....there's a good chance you're looking at an adult doe....a doe fawn....and a BB fawn. The problem arises when the BB is the largest of the 3 (which is NOT uncommon). Attempting to target only the adults is a bit tricky.

I think field glasses are important.....because this has almost bitten me, more than once.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't speak for all areas but IMHO in my area it is relatively easy to tell a BB from an Adult Doe, and experience has taught me this over the years.

No different than any other time you plan on shooting at something. A Bowhunter should always positively identify their target before loosing an arrow.

If you are Ok with killing a BB then shoot away. I won't because if I'm after a Trophy the choice is obvious, and if I'm after meat then there are much better choices available that will provide more meat. I am lucky that I don't have to feel desperate or feel I won't be able to kill a Deer if I pass a few up.

I know due to some areas and some hunters lack of time to spend in the stand their choice might be different, and that's Ok.

Dan
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it was the last 5 minutes of shooting light on the last day of season with no meat in the freezer I still would NOT shoot one.

19 yrs
Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default buttons

I shoot them depending...

... on the rules/situation. My suburban organization expects members to shoot antlerless deer. My farmer landowners in WV/MD hate deer and they will run you off for letting them walk.

When we were managing in NC, I used bino's and it was easy to pick out the buttons.

24 years.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

never on purpose would i shoot a nubby. its like shooting a 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck to me. bow hunting 5 years
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

in my area it is relatively easy to tell a BB from an Adult Doe, and experience has taught me this over the years.
It's kinda easy in my area, too. It's not come to me shooting one I didn't intend to. Like I said....I've shot one (piebald). I didn't determine OR care about his sex, when I put a bead on him. It was a deer I intended to take, regardless.

It's only taken me a short time to learn to look first and shoot, second. 101 stuff.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Attempting to target only the adults is a bit tricky.
Glad you figured that tricky part out!

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.