Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mathews/McPherson Monster >

Mathews/McPherson Monster

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mathews/McPherson Monster

Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mathews/McPherson Monster

Do you have one, would you like to have one, would you like to shoot one, do you have an opinion on them? I just got one on a trade. Got the bow with: drop rest, quiver, sight, release, 3 arrows, w/broadheads and hard case. The cost was a Mossberg shotgun and a SW .357. Total appox cost $800.00.
I like it now that it is set up for me but I still think I would rather have a Hoyt. I'll shoot this for awhile then think about selling it, maybe, maybe not.

BTW, my pro shop chrono'd it. 400gr arrow @ 62#, 290+-. I've seen 2 other you tube videos and the highest speed was around 308fps. I understand the variables involved in chrono speeds.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Spike

Honestly one of if not the best shooting speed bow ever. I took several deer with mine this year and am getting 293 fps with a 30 inch draw and 62 lb pull...excellent choice..
Old 01-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Spike

I've had a few Hoyts in my day (well built bows) and I might have the Maxxis before the years out, but that being said, I'm not trading My Monster 6 for it! It's a "steady tack driving machine"! You sound as though you're concerned with speed? Well, I hate to break it to ya, but even Hoyts fastest (Alphaburner) is almost 15 fps. slower than the Monster 6. I know bows are very user speciffic and all. That's why I bought mine. I went to the shop to get get a Scorpion Venom maintenence kit for my bows and there it was. Just came in. I sware to you, I thought the bow was made just for me! Draw felt good, very quiet, and balanced very well at full draw. It shot so good that I ordered one that day! I hope it works out for ya!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've setup, shot, and tuned a couple for customers were buying accessories. I regularly get to shoot most bows on the market. I realize likes, dislikes in a bow are personal, but the only way I'd have a Monster is if I was allowed to sell it.

Bows I shot last year that impressed me and stick out in my mind are the Hoyt Alphamax & the BowTech Captain.

Dan
Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

How would you tell the difference between the different versions of the Monster?

Last edited by va bowbender; 01-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by va bowbender
How would you tell the difference between the different versions of the Monster?
The brace height is the difference between the Monsters. The XLR8 is the tightest @ 5", then they offer a 6" and the latest 2010 Monster has a 7" brace and a new Grid lock riser.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by va bowbender
Do you have one, would you like to have one, would you like to shoot one, do you have an opinion on them?
Do I have one.... NO. Would I like to have one.... NO. Would I like to shoot one.... I HAVE. Do you have an opinion on them..... yep!

If it's speed a guy wants then it's a consideration.... but the rough draw, short unforgivn brace height and heavy unbalanced feel quickly rules this bow out for a serious hunting rig for me!

The most impressive rig I've ever seen from Mathews is their new Z7..... thats more like what I want in a serious hunting rig!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Do I have one.... NO. Would I like to have one.... NO. Would I like to shoot one.... I HAVE. Do you have an opinion on them..... yep!

If it's speed a guy wants then it's a consideration.... but the rough draw, short unforgivn brace height and heavy unbalanced feel quickly rules this bow out for a serious hunting rig for me!

The most impressive rig I've ever seen from Mathews is their new Z7..... thats more like what I want in a serious hunting rig!
Brian, I agree about the Monster, but then I'm not supposed to have an opinion.

I also shot the Z7 and it is what a Mathews should be Smooth, and Quiet. The only thing I didn't like was the A to A, but then I'd prefer a couple more inches on my Destroyer as well.

Dan