Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to do about Wild Dogs >

What to do about Wild Dogs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do about Wild Dogs

Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
Usually, they take the dog to the pound, and the owner pays if he wants it back. You shouldn't have to pay a dime if you're calling them to remove the animal from your land.

As for everyone shooting dogs...I sure hope your pet never gets loose if everyone is that trigger happy out in the woods. Occasionally, my bird dog gets twisted around and I have to double back to retrieve her. If some dumb redneck shoots her, he is going to be out a lot of cash.

Habitual, diseased, wild dogs, I can understand. But if you're shooting someone's pet that just got loose once or twice...you're not the ethical hunter that you claim to be IMO when there are other ethical options out there. I've taken care of numerous stray dogs and have yet had to shoot one.
I would shoot my OWN dog if it started to chase deer!! We train our dogs the way they should be trained, #1 to listen, #2 to hunt the animal we want them to, and #3 not to chase deer.. Someone in this thread had said there are not bad dogs just bad owners, I believe this is a great statement.. Sooooo, if your dogs get loose and is chasing deer on my property, I would shot the hell out of them and I promise I would not pay you one cent for them--You should've had better control of your pet!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you can train dogs to the point that there is no chance that they will chase deer then your services should be in high demand. I've hunted over all sorts of dogs, for all sorts of game, and all sorts of settings and haven't seen too many that wouldn't occasionally go off on a hot deer track or chase them a little ways by sight. That's not to defend dogs running all over private property, but hearing that is like hearing from the guys who claim that their dogs are completely under their control 100 percent of the time. Sorry but I take it with a grain of salt.

But this is kind of getting off topic since we seem to be dealing with somebodies yard dogs that are running loose and how to deal with it, not deerproofing somebody's redbone coonhound or German Shorthair....
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Spike

Kill em all!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

The few instances i have come across usually includes an owner that thinks his dog has the right to run wherever he wants, and will not do anything to change it. In that case the dog is SOL.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there is a domestic dog season, you have a dog tag and you plan to eat the dog, I'd shoot them.

I'd never shoot an animal out of season just to leave it rot. That's what poachers do.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

I was treed by 2 collared german shephards while bowhunting about 6 or 7 years ago. I was only like 14 at the time and had already had a few bad experiences with dogs. They came running in only a few minutes after I sat down in my stand, and plopped down in my food plot. I decided to leave because I figured the hunt was over, and when I started climbing down my ladder they came running over barking and growling. I wasn't about to try and find out if they were 'excitedly' barking or 'aggressively' barking. I called my dad and he called animal control. I had these dogs at 15 yards for 20 minutes, and not once did I think about shooting them. For those of you with the impression that all the dogs go to the humane society and get adopted by more responsible owners, time for a reality check. They'll most likely stay in there until the tests determine they aren't suitable pets and then get humanely put down. I can honestly say now that if those dogs got me up a tree up north, with no neighbors w/in a mile, and no collars, they would have been target practice.