Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
would you road hunt if you would legaly allowed and disabled. >

would you road hunt if you would legaly allowed and disabled.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you road hunt if you would legaly allowed and disabled.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by YooperMike
A person such as yourself with a bad knee, IMO, is not disabled. Your weight is no secret around this place, and that knee and foot infection would be a non-issue if the weight isn't where it is right now. I've struggled with weight my entire life, but April '08 I decided I had enough, and amd currently down 110 pounds, and it is absolutely amazing how many things DON'T hurt anymore. You are on a slippery slope with illness if that weight stays put brother, you won't have to worry about hunting at all in a few years if you are bed-ridden.
Tim, I've been on this site for quite a while and have read almost EVERY post you've made. My STRONG ADVICE to you would be to listen to the above. This man is speaking fact, not opinion!

Tim, I don't know you from a can of paint other than from this site. But I still don't want to read a thread saying something like "Please pray for Tim's family during this very sad time". We love ya buddy, and want you to be able to enjoy hunting, instead of having to "work" for it. And, hunt any way you please if it's legal. Regardless of what others think or say.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

to me a road is just like shooting down the lane i cut out in the woods. i see no problem with it,same as any other blind. if i were busted up and had to do it i would, better than sittin on my arse at the house!! i think my blind is more comfortable
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with a disabled person hunting from the road.

My question is what happens when everything is not perfect? Let say you make a bad shot and the deer runs 400-yards before dying? Lets say you even watch the deer fall over dead 400-yards away. Could you get the deer back to your truck??? Do you have friends with you to help you with your deer? Just wondering if you have your bases covered?

Good luck hunting,

WK

Last edited by Wolf killer; 12-29-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

You guys will be glad to hear Thursday I am going to the local gym to get my membership. 25 to 40 a month depending on which one I get. Plan is 2 to 3 days a week mainly cardio and upper body. Got to get into some kind of shape so I can scuba dive when me and my dad go to Florida in march. I think my legs do enough weight lifting when I get out of bed.
Originally Posted by early in
Tim, I've been on this site for quite a while and have read almost EVERY post you've made. My STRONG ADVICE to you would be to listen to the above. This man is speaking fact, not opinion!

Tim, I don't know you from a can of paint other than from this site. But I still don't want to read a thread saying something like "Please pray for Tim's family during this very sad time". We love ya buddy, and want you to be able to enjoy hunting, instead of having to "work" for it. And, hunt any way you please if it's legal. Regardless of what others think or say.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Good to hear man. I also struggle with my weight and near disability due to a broken back and a shoulder replacement. I'm sure I could get a permit, but haven't pursued it. About 3 years ago I lost 45 lbs, and it felt really good. Unfortunately, I've now gained back almost 60. My wife and Doctors (yeah, I have several) want me to lose it again, but it's hard to get started. I wish you luck with your battle, and if taking a deer from the road is legal, and it's that or no deer, go for it.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

after my dad's double lung transplant, he was granted a disabled permit, meaning he could use a truck or atv as a "blind" and he had mixed emotions...the reason for the transplant was to get him out walking, moving, and truly hunting again

he kept it in his license holder, heck, it is probably still there, he said he didn't feel right about it, considering the circumstances, i wouldn't either

however, as others stated, if you absolutely cannot get around (this is how i feel too) and it gets you out hunting, then i would take advantage of it
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ya I lost 50 last sept oct on a diet and scouting for hunting spots. Gained it back in jan. Thats why I want the gym membership. If not I will be on my *** all winter. I have been looking at gastric bypass have it asll setup I just need to drop 25 pounds. I still question it but I think it is something any obese person should atleast look at.
Originally Posted by FLBandit
Good to hear man. I also struggle with my weight and near disability due to a broken back and a shoulder replacement. I'm sure I could get a permit, but haven't pursued it. About 3 years ago I lost 45 lbs, and it felt really good. Unfortunately, I've now gained back almost 60. My wife and Doctors (yeah, I have several) want me to lose it again, but it's hard to get started. I wish you luck with your battle, and if taking a deer from the road is legal, and it's that or no deer, go for it.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

If you cannot walk then I see no big problem with it. My grandpa has a bad heart and cant walk far at all. He "hunts" from his Rino and truck with his xbow and rifle. He hasn't done all that well either but at least he's not sitting in the house.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
That was my issue with the dnr. I asked for the right to use the access road. I normaly have little issue walking to my stand if it is within 200 yards or so of my truck. They sent me the hunt from a car permit. I guess the one permit gets you everything. I figured for the rare occasion I could not make it to my stand I would be ok. With my kidney stone and my infected foot I would not try getting 20 foot of the road. Though I ant going to try it now. I doubt I get a deer in bow range form my blue jeep wrangler.
lol youd be surprised I was hunting one night and didnt see anything out of my treestand I walk back to my car and theres a 6 point and 8 point 10 feet from it
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by YooperMike
I think I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. First off, from a medical standpoint, I'm somewhat jaded because I run a clinic, and "disability" is a term that gets thrown around WAY too loosely. A person such as yourself with a bad knee, IMO, is not disabled. Your weight is no secret around this place, and that knee and foot infection would be a non-issue if the weight isn't where it is right now. I've struggled with weight my entire life, but April '08 I decided I had enough, and amd currently down 110 pounds, and it is absolutely amazing how many things DON'T hurt anymore. You are on a slippery slope with illness if that weight stays put brother, you won't have to worry about hunting at all in a few years if you are bed-ridden.

As for the legality of it, it is what it is. Yeah, its legal, great. But, you have worked your ass off to get a deer this year, so are you really going to be happy with one that you poked from the car window? Also, if you do shoot it, how do you plan to get it out of the woods and loaded into your vehicle? Right now may be the time to focus on your health and take a mulligan on this season.
Tim, something has to get done my friend and the above advise sums It up In a nut shell. I mean no malice In the least, just showing you I/we care for ya. No more saying this and that Tim, time to start doing bud.