Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First bow choices? >

First bow choices?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow choices?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default First bow choices?

Hello all....hope everyone had a great Xmas.

I'm new here and new to bows and hunting.

I'm looking at a few and was wondering if someone could give me some help on what bow would be better for me.

1. Mission X5

2. 07 Bear Instinct

3. 04 Martin Tracer Magnum

These are a few I'm looking at but don't know much about them.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Bow is a very personal choice. Your choice may depend somewhat on budget and personal preferences.
The Most important thing is to get a bow that fits you properly.

Also shoot several of the bows out of the Diamond line. They make bows to fit every need and most every budget. Shoot them enough to know you like the bow before making the purchase.

Dan
Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Spike

As was stated it is a very personal preference type of selection process. Based on money and feel/like/dislike. One thing I did not realize when I was selecting mine was to roll in the speed factor. The advertised speed of the bow does not reflect the speed of the arrow to target. My next bow I will load into the OnTarget software with my known draw length arrow length etc to get a better feel for what the bow will do. With my bow I am lucky to get 55lbs of KE at 50 yards and I wish I had a little more flexability.

my 2cents
Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default you can get a great deal on A bear

truth 2 right now. I got one for Christmas and I love it. Less than 1/2 the cost of my Hoyt's and shoots better!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Do they come ready to shoot? The accessories can kill your budget.

Look to be all good bows.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Spike

I was in the same boat as you 3-4 years ago and found it very hard to listen to all the different opinions. All I can say is find last years top model of any make and you'll get a real good deal and a great bow. I have the Truth and love it, yes I have been harassed by Matthews and Hoyt guys (they're a little strange! Tight nit group, I guess would be better to say) but it comes down to what it does for you, mine kills deer and puts a nice tight group on the target and costs alot less than all my friends big name bows. Go with what you can afford and what feels good, I love bow hunting and haven't touched a gun for gun season since.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta shoot them all for yourself to decide! Find a reliable pro-shop and shoot everything you can before committing.

If budget is a consideration, then Diamond, Reflex and Mission are all reasonably priced lines offered by Bowtech, Hoyt and Mathews respectively.