Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
wow thats a herd. >

wow thats a herd.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wow thats a herd.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default wow thats a herd.

Me and my dad was coming home from the next town over. Major highwar with farmed running the road side. I turned my head when going by a field edge by a wood lot. I saw 30 or 40 deer in a 50x50yard area. I have never seen that many deer my first thought was where my muzzleloader. Sadly it was a private field.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

I have the same deal on the way home from work each day. We had 22 inches of snow Saturday and now you can see the deer very well. Today I pulled over and counted 57 deer in one field that was only three or four acres. These deer have been using this same field almost every day for the past few years. They are always there. The funny thing is that hunters hunt the field ajoining this one which is only divided by a strip of woods no more the 100 feet wide. No deer ever in that field!!! I dont even bother trying to get permission. Its a no brainer there.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife & I woke up to about 3" of fresh snow this morning & 17 Deer in our back yard cleaning out my 5 bird feeders. Does, Button Bucks & one 8 pointer. She went to take a pic but they moved into the woods next to our house.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have the same problem in buffalo tx, just 15 acres, i would usually tell ya its a 100 deer, but ill just say 30, the problem is shooting..hard to get 1 singled out, our shooting lane is only 15 yards wide, so to hit just one takes patience. and when ya shoot, they all run in to see what that was, but never any big guys though, a few nice 6's, but since this place is un-hunted for 2000 acres for the last 20 years , we lettin em grow..it will pay off in a few years.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

cool to see a big group like that...i had 22 come up the other night during a snowstorm here in PA...while scouting for a late season archery spot...i think i found it
Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Banned

i have the same amount of land in buffalo as well...and yes the deer are plentiful..i know the deer out there , the big ones, stay in the tree lines and just about never come out.

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
we have the same problem in buffalo tx, just 15 acres, i would usually tell ya its a 100 deer, but ill just say 30, the problem is shooting..hard to get 1 singled out, our shooting lane is only 15 yards wide, so to hit just one takes patience. and when ya shoot, they all run in to see what that was, but never any big guys though, a few nice 6's, but since this place is un-hunted for 2000 acres for the last 20 years , we lettin em grow..it will pay off in a few years.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Pics or you lie
Old 12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Me and my dad was coming home from the next town over. Major highwar with farmed running the road side. I turned my head when going by a field edge by a wood lot. I saw 30 or 40 deer in a 50x50yard area. I have never seen that many deer my first thought was where my muzzleloader. Sadly it was a private field.
I've been up a tree on several occasions (at least 3 times) and had 80 deer walk by at once. One time the week after they got done having a managed hunt in the park, I had over 100 deer walking by with about 3 dozen bucks. Nothing huge in the group but some decent ones. That's been years ago. Today, between the unlimited tags, all the manage hunts and the police sharp shooters at night, those days are a thing of the past. One thing I will say, it's much harder to shoot a deer with a bow when that many eyeballs are around.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

on my first hunt I thought the cavalry came off the hillside, I never saw that many deer, even if it were just 30 animals. They were red deer and big. And it was hard to single one out. I could shoot does from 1 to 2 years but they bunched up together and I stood there at full draw what felt like for ever...

F.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
...the problem is shooting..hard to get 1 singled out
I know what you mean. One of the spots I hunt late season is typically herd hunting. The deer herd up into groups of 30-200. With that many eyes, you are hoping the deer you want to shoot doesn't run off with the rest of them when you draw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.