Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
09 Nebraska Mule Deer Hunt! >

09 Nebraska Mule Deer Hunt!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

09 Nebraska Mule Deer Hunt!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 09 Nebraska Mule Deer Hunt!

The time had finally arrived for the trek to the north side of the Pine Ridge Area in extreme Northwest Nebraska. I arrived about midday on Saturday December 5th.
It was unusual this year as there was No snow on the ground when I arrived. After glassing and looking around for a while I decided to setup my Blind in the same spot I had placed it a year ago because it looked like a very promising spot.
Unlike last year there was also a lot of Deer traffic up on top out of the Canyons and I thought I might set up a second blind Sunday in some Junipers, close to what looked to be a good travel lane, but Sunday brought a sudden weather change and an end to the Deer traveling on top. Which would be good for me and was sure to make my blind placement in the Canyon even better.
Temperatures dropped and it snowed for the next 2 1/2 days. The temps were ranging from 15 below to around 5 above, and the wind at times was howling. The snow seemed nonstop but the flakes were very fine so accumulations were less than 6" although the drifting did cause a few problems, but nothing like the previous 2 Decembers.
This was my 6th time Mule Deer hunting this area in the last 4 years, so my confidence in Deer movement was good. Monday December 7th found me in my blind well before daylight with plans to stay until dark, which I did. I lost count of the number of Does I saw, but I did keep track of the Bucks. I saw 15 different bucks, many of which were small immature 1.5 year old bucks, but there were two different 4X4's, 3 different 4X3's, and a couple of 3X3's that were mature animals which were tempting but I knew there was a couple of Bucks roaming around that were better.
Tuesday found me back in the blind before daylight with it still snowing but it slowed down and finally quit after midday. Action this day was even better, and I saw 16 different bucks. Some were repeats but there were some new ones I had not seen the day before. About 20 minutes before dark I had a nice 4X4 slip in from behind me. He was less than 4 yards from me when I saw him, and he looked directly in the blind as he came up beside me.
He must have seen the whites of my eyes (LMAO!!) because he swapped ends and looked to be getting ready to vacate the area, but I wanted to send him something to remember me by as he left. I brought the Captain to Full Draw and anchored the pin on him. I hammered the release as there was No time for squeezing.
As soon as he disappeared over the hill I was out of the Blind hoping to spot him somewhere in the snow on the other side. What I saw was him head to head with a Big 3X3 and as soon as I saw them he cut loose and ran with the big 3X3 pushing him from behind for 10 to 12 feet. He went maybe 30 yards and then bedded down and I had begin to wonder where I had hit him, but closer inspection with the Binos showed him bleeding severly at the shoulder and the blood on the snow where I stood confirmed a deadly hit.
All this happened in much less time than it takes to tell about it. It was only a short time until he did a death kick and slid 70 feet down the canyon wall toward me.
My biggest concern was that my Buck had died thinking that the big 3X3 had kicked his Butt. LMAO!!
All equipment was again up to the Harsh conditions that December in Nebraska had thrown my way. The Captain, while not quite as fast as my 82nd has proven to be a real shooter. Groups out to even 60 yards with broadheads has been better than I have ever shot before, and the Captain is Super Quiet and has Excellent speed with a hunting weight arrow. The Grizz Tricks have again performed flawless all season. Thanks to Ed also for dropping me off and picking me up at my blind, although he thinks I am nuts to spend all day in a blind in those temps. He also is sure I am obsessed and addicted to Bowhunting in the worst way. It was very nice to enjoy the Hot meals he fixed every night. I brought the groceries and he cooked them up! How can you beat a deal like that?

Thanks to God for allowing me to Bowhunt another year and to have such Fun and Success this season. 3 Bucks with a total of 410 inches of antlers. Thanks also to everyone's patience while I was gone. Suppressor orders will start going out again today and tomorrow.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails 09 Nebraska Mule Deer Hunt!-09nebraskamulie.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

You are the real deal buddy!

Great story, great buck, great effort!!!

Congratulations!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good picture and great mulie
Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Mean! I've never hunted up that way but a bunch of buddies always do a spring turkey hunt there. Seen some awesome pictures fro up there. Maybe someday I'll get to experience it.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

one heck of a story and a mule deer. congrats and nice job!!!!! gotta love the smile
Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story Dan, congrats on the late season trophy!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Cool story Dan, congrats on the late season trophy!
Thanks Cornfed!

wis_rifle_hunter I'm usually smilin' when I have a hold of something dead

Mottz, there are lots of Merriams in spots and other places they are thin, but when you get into them it's a Blast. I've killed 4 Nebraska Merriams.

Dan
Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Love the story!! Congrats on a fine mulley!!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job, nice 4pt. Welcome to my neck o' the woods!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Z
Good job, nice 4pt. Welcome to my neck o' the woods!
I always stop in Scottsbluff to get the grub. Beautiful town, especially south in the Wildcat Hills

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.