Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting in the Pre-Rut >

Bowhunting in the Pre-Rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in the Pre-Rut

Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Question Bowhunting in the Pre-Rut

Bowhunting opens in early September where I hunt. Most small bush, farmer fields and some large river islands. I think I would like to hunt via blind, spot & stalk, and even still hunting.

Can you provide me some tips with what my overall strategy should be in this early time of the year?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

hunt foodsources
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

get a blind in there before you start hunting, give it time to blend and get the deer used to it, put it along travel routes heading to food sources...also, hunt in the morning between the food and bedding areas and you will do just fine
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found, at least in my area, that bucks, especially the bigger ones, tend to not leave their beds until very close to dark in the evenings and return very early. This means getting close to his bedroom. You always run the risk of booting him when doing this, so extreme care has to be taken.

I personally wait out the early part of the pre-rut until more favorable activity occurs. Meaning when the bucks are starting to be on their feet more as the rut intensifies. I hunt between bedding and feeding areas. Sometimes, you might get lucky and a good buck will pass by, sometimes, oftentimes not.

Still hunting and spot and stalk will work good between bedding and feeding areas when the deer are known to be on the move.

As bowfly suggested with the blind. Get it setup early, before season so the deer get used to it.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, great suggestions!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Another question, how do you find their bedding areas?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

If I were you I would invest in a trail camera or two they work wonders i targeting times and you can see whats running around