Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Public Land hunt >

Public Land hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public Land hunt

Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Public Land hunt

Hey Yall going to hit up some public land for a deer hunt this weekend , just wondering if you all have some tips for hunting new places.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out aerial maps of the area, and use the first day as a scouting day. When you come back, you will know where to set up for future hunts.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your hunting in TX, i would get where you want to hunt and wait until you can see well enough to walk around and see a few hundred yards. Then do a scout/hunt for the first day. Cover a lot of ground, but utalize still hunting methods as well. topo and aerial photos are a great way to figure out where you want to start.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Avoid all of the obvious places close to roads and trails. Other hunters have already pounded them all to hell and the bigger bucks know enough to avoid these in the day time. As mentioned above, check out some air photos and find some thick places that are hard to reach. That's where the bucks will be hanging out this late in the season.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Check out aerial maps of the area, and use the first day as a scouting day. When you come back, you will know where to set up for future hunts.
What he said.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help fellas I am going to head out there tomarrow and take a look see, probley hit it hard next weekend, this will be my first hunt here in Texas.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Army, do you have any topo/aerial maps of the place? Or even just a name of the place? Is it a military base? I would like to take a look at them and possibly give you some hints. I like looking at maps because they give me a good chance to learn based on what people observe. Take care and good luck.