Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!! >

Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Do People Shoot Little Bucks!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I also have a 14 year old Daughter, she has been fortunate enough to take several deer at this point in her hunting career and she even asks me from time to time what some "old guys" are thinking when they shoot lil' bucks every year? She generally asks, "Are they afraid they won't be able to brag about shooting a "buck" so they have to shoot the first thing they see?" "Don't they want to see a better deer herd?" "Dont they want to save some deer for next year?"

What do you say for such disregard to any quality management??? Man, even the kids gotta wonder about some of ya? LOL!
Have you ever thought of this....your daughter is only regurgitating your thoughts/brainwashing when she is talking about killing "small" bucks? It is not like she is actually thinking of saying that on her own, like she is some prime time buck killing machine, capable of snapping her fingers and causing bucks to just fall from the sky. Your post stinks of condescension.

"even the kids gotta wonder about some of ya? LOL!"....an attempt to incite other hunters to become angry. Hunters who work hard in life and in hunting. And then those same guys/gals that work their tails of with their families on a daily basis get blessed enough to ge a chance to go out into the woods and hunt...and then get lucky enough to kill a deer. THEN you make fun of them like a little turd. Great, good for you.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my first year ever hunting and I would have loved to have gottena bigger better Buck than the small 7 pointer I took this weekend. I passed on a spike and spooked a 4 the same morning. I had about 10 seconds from the time he showed himself till the time I drew back and fired my arrow at what looked to me to be a bigger Buck than he was. After leting 6 Does pass me by because they were moving to fast to get a good shot I chose to take the Buck behind them who was moving at a slow walk or trot. I had to decide in a matter of seconds to aim and fire which I did and he is mine now, my first Deer with a Bow from 14 yards away. I guess I could have let him pass also and hope I get another chance before January 3rd. but I am very happy with my choice and will wait on a large Doe when I take my next Deer. I really doubt if this Buck would have ever produced a much larger Rack he seemed to be destined to always be undersized and not contribute good genes into the Deer pool. See pictures in my Album maybe you will agree, maybe not,I'm not sure how long it takes a Deer to grow monster Racks or if mine ever could have done so. It was a great thrill for me even at 53 to get this one my first season of hunting. I would have prefered one of the big Does out of the 6 that blew past me but I fear I would have only injured it instead of taking it with a clean shot. In the future I will be more selective I'm sure but I have no regrets for taking my little 7.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by doetrain
This is my first year ever hunting and I would have loved to have gottena bigger better Buck than the small 7 pointer I took this weekend. I would have prefered one of the big Does out of the 6 that blew past me but I fear I would have only injured it instead of taking it with a clean shot. In the future I will be more selective I'm sure but I have no regrets for taking my little 7.
Let me the first to congradulate you on your bow kill!!!! Awesome job!!! And you know what i like your whole paragraph, your mind and heart seem to be in the right place.... once again congrats to you
Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Spike

Question: Why do people shoot small bucks?

Answer: Because they walk under my stand. Have you ever considered the fact that not every buck has the capability of becoming a monster?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Question: Why do people shoot small bucks?

Answer: Because they walk under my stand. Have you ever considered the fact that not every buck has the capability of becoming a monster?
Obviously someone only read the topic line and not the whole post!

Illini_fan if you would have read the whole post you would know that the topic line was only to entice you to take a look. It was meant for thoughs who wanted to share their story or memory of their first deer taken. Maybe you would like to share with us yours??
Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

Sorry your correct i didnt read the whole thing. The first deer i ever killed was a button buck. Right after a Christmas party with my family. It was about 5 degrees outside and everybody said I was crazy for even going, however two deer walked in on me and I took a shot at the one that ended up giving me the opportunity. Possibly the proudest moment of my hunting career.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I was 9 years old, and my first deer was with a 20 gauge remington 870 back in 1998...he was a 12 pointer that field dressed 235 pounds, biggest gun kill to date..and my mom was nice enought to put my picture in the paper holding my trophy..pretty neat deal IMO
Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Sorry your correct i didnt read the whole thing. The first deer i ever killed was a button buck. Right after a Christmas party with my family. It was about 5 degrees outside and everybody said I was crazy for even going, however two deer walked in on me and I took a shot at the one that ended up giving me the opportunity. Possibly the proudest moment of my hunting career.
Coool deal !!! Its funny how those days that seem like there is no reason to even be outside turn out to be the best days ever.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot little bucks because I havent found a reciepe for Rack yet....but once I do I will stop and shoot only big rack bucks...LOL

As for the first one I shot....well after missing 3 or 4 different deer...(yes Im secure enough to admit it) I was 12 and it was the last day of ML season and about 15 degrees. The guys were driving for me and a few other kids...they moved a doe towards me and when she was at about 35yds I lit off the .45 cal smoke pole...i will never forget having to look around the cloud of smoke to see if I hit her...she was laying dead on the spot!!

It was only rivaled by watching my 8yr old son shoot his first doe with a cross bow last fall....that is the highlight of any hunt I have ever had!!!

Last edited by shooter1966; 12-10-2009 at 12:08 PM.