Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need help picking a trail cam >

Need help picking a trail cam

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help picking a trail cam

Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Spike

I have had a wildview extreme for a couple of years and like it. you can get a twin pack for 120$ they took good picks and last long time with 4 C's. here are some pictures it took. http://sn109w.snt109.mail.live.com/a...40C1C4EB7B70||
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Spike

There're problems with the lcd readouts going out on the moultries, I'd stay away from them until they fix that problem. I have one HCO Scoutguard love it, better quality video then the moultrie I 4.0 I have. Heard good things about the bushnell 5.0 megapixel camo trophy cam. check out this website chasingame.com
Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got my 1st this year in Sept. A $150 Moultrie. I am in the process of arranging to send it back as it has been nothing but trouble & now does not even turn on. Was fine the 1st month then kaboom.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think you can go wrong with a cuddeback capture. If you're a member of QDMA you can get them for $180. The batteries last forever, and it always takes a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Need help picking a trail cam-16-.jpg   Need help picking a trail cam-21-.jpg   Need help picking a trail cam-cdy_0012-4-.jpg   Need help picking a trail cam-cdy_0004-6-.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input everyone! Its definitely helping to narrow my choices down to a few instead of the 100's that are out there. Keep them coming!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Moultrie i40
Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

anyone who has had thier camera for less tha a season can't really offer a valuable opininon IMO. Any camera you buy is going to seem great for the first little while. Having one that will actually last beyond the 1 year warranty is another thing.

case in poiint:

I have been using the Bushnell Trophy Cam since July
Give it time. By next hunting season if it's anything like the dozens of Bushnell me and many other buddies bought on sale at Basspro a couple years ago you will change your mind.

Bushnell, Moultire, Wildview, are all cameras I have seen barely last more than a season from my own personal experience. I heard about a guy in NW Ont. who purchased something like 20 trail cams for his outfitting business. 1 year later about 18 of them didn't work anymore. He called the company and they offered him a discount coupon on buying the next 20. Ya right!

I have been using an HCO Scoutguard for 1 season now. My buddy is on to season 3. So far so good. He thought he had an issue with one and called them. They actually offered him good product support. That is a key consideration as well. I mean a 1 yr warranty means squat! You pay hundreds of dollars and they are saying they'll only guarnatee it to work for 1 friggin' season!

Compact, easy-to-use, and batteries are "AA". They last a pretty good amount of time and I like using the smaller batteries. I bought a bulk pack of 50 batteries from the wholesale store and only changed them once so far. Like I mentioned, 3 seasons of experience with this camera and so far so good. HCO Scoutgaurd
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

here's video sample of the HCO Scoutguard

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get the Moultrie D-40. I have had a bunch of them and they keep dying and needing to be replaced.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stealth Cams are the way to go. I have been using the 35mm for 6 years and they are still working just as good as day one. The digitals are the same way, I have 2 of the I390's and have been using them for 2 years and they are awesome. If you buy the 6 volt rechargeable battery you can get about 45-60 days out of one charge no problem. With the amount you want to spend you could get two of the I model stealths, upgraded SD cards and 2 rechargeable batteries!! If you do a search using my ID I have posted pics from my stealths before on the bowhunting forum.