Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Euro mount

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Euro mount

My Dad shot a nice 6pt this year with a bow. Instead of paying the taxi we were gonna try to do a homemade euro mount. I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who may have done this at home before. Do I just bury the skull and antlers? How long should I leave it burried for?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

if you dont want to touch it yeah you can bury it and leave it till end of summer. or you can do it in about 3 hours.first cut and trim as much flesh, eyes and tongue off as you can then boil it in some sodium chloride and trim and wire brush all remaining tissue off oh try to get brain out before you boil its easier when thats done you can you some peroxide and bleaching angent to make it whiter. you can order a kit from van dykes for around 20 bucks
Old 11-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

OR if you don't want to, or don't have anything to boil it in, you can just submerse the skull in water and place the bucket outside, where critters can't get to it, let it sit for about a week and then remove it and get more of the loose stuff off, then again submerse it in water for another week or so, and repeat as necassary. Then get some high % peroxide and brush that on the cleaned skull to whiten it! Don't get the perosixe on the antlers, as it will whiten them also.