Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tree stand safety??? >

Tree stand safety???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand safety???

Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tree stand safety???

I usually hunt anywhere from 20-25 feet up any tree that I choose to place my treestands in for bowhunting. My set up's usually include 4-6 screw in pegs at the bottom with some type of climbing rail system from there up to the stand.

My question is how many of you utilize a fall line from the ground to the top of your stand while climbing in or out? I have been thinking about this for sometime. I have decided that I am going to be installing a line in all of my stands for next season.

The second question is if any of you use this method where and what type of rope have you purchased to make your fall lines with?

My hunting partner took a spill this year from his ladder stand and it scared the hell out of him. I hear too many stories every year of people who fall while climing in or out of the stand. When my son starts hunting from a stand in a couple of years I am going to make sure that he is as safe as I can make him. My plan is also to be there for my family in the event something accidental should happen to me.

Just throwing it out there for conversation.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

i don't use pegs to get up.....use a climber......but i always have a line tied off to the tree - going up and coming down........would think any high quality rock climbing rope would do the job for you / mine came with my climber /
Old 11-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Lone Wolf climber but also have several hangon stands. The one setup it about 24 feet off the ground in an oak tree with no limbs. I have screw in steps that allow be to get to the stand. I use a safety hunter system with a linemans belt to climb the tree. The only problem is when I get to the stand I need to remove the linemans belt from around the tree to get into my stand. I have several screw in steps above the stand that help me out. I have never used a rope system as you have stated. I have seen them on a video and they seems to allow you to get into the stand without disconnecting.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i used 2 skinny azz nylon strings tied from the 4wheeler to the bak tendons on the legs of a deer and drove forward as to lift the deer over a pine tree limb...and they held.(to my surprise, i was jus tired of liftin em up and tyin it to the tree , its a new spot and no winch system of n e kind..lol til now)..so a nice piece of nylon rope i would say..and make sure you have a plan to get down , or you will die from blood poisoning!!!