HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Wow. It IS actually possible. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/310795-wow-actually-possible.html)

Gladius87 11-25-2009 09:41 PM

Wow. It IS actually possible.

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I started bow hunting in 2005, and it seemed as if I were cursed the whole time. I would go out time after time and not see deer. If I did see deer, very few would come within range or I would miss the shot. I was beginning to think It was impossible to kill a deer with a bow.

After not seeing a deer all season, I went out on the morning of November 15, and decided to sit in an old stand that my father and I built 8 years ago or so. Upon climbing into the stand, I realized that it was rotting out and was not safe. I was gonna get down (would have been the smarter idea), but decided to stay. I had a 1'x1' corner I could stand on without falling through. I saw a nice doe come out into the field right at sunrise, then saw a yearling with her. I thought they were gonna skirt the edge of the woods, out of range, but the yearling ran right toward my stand and stopped at about 15 yards. Hit her with my Rage 2 blades, and she ran about 30 yards. Felt good to finally be successful with my bow. I have a new-found sense of confidence about me.

She went about 90 pounds. Nothing real impressive, but good eating that I am proud of!

okeechobeefishing 11-26-2009 02:29 AM

Hey great job and way to keep at it.

SIDEWAYS 11-26-2009 04:47 AM

Nothing like getting that first one under your belt!
Congratulations

vaclav 11-26-2009 05:20 AM

Persistence is key with bowhunting, I was in the same boat you were in, it sucks but when I got that first one I was in shock for a long time. Congratulations and way to stick with it!

Nalgi 11-26-2009 06:50 AM

You know, I've had alot of misfires too...

but once I put something down my whole archery success went crazy! Good luck your success' will continue:happy0001:

krub6b 11-26-2009 06:57 AM

Congrats, nowyou just have a stand to rebuild.

RLoving1 11-26-2009 07:11 AM

When you finally have success it reminds you why you keep coming back doesn't it?If it was easy everyone would be doing it...good job of hanging in there! I was lucky on my first hunt and scored on a antlerless and it spoiled me.I have to remember there is going to be bust years.

Gladius87 11-26-2009 07:49 AM

Yes, the success made the whole thing worth it. I really do need to replace that stand. Come to think of it, most of the deer I've killed with my shotgun have been out of the same stand. Think I'm gonna put a ladder up there.

ABarOfSoap 11-26-2009 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gladius87 (Post 3512255)
Well, I started bow hunting in 2005, and it seemed as if I were cursed the whole time. I would go out time after time and not see deer. If I did see deer, very few would come within range or I would miss the shot. I was beginning to think It was impossible to kill a deer with a bow.

After not seeing a deer all season, I went out on the morning of November 15, and decided to sit in an old stand that my father and I built 8 years ago or so. Upon climbing into the stand, I realized that it was rotting out and was not safe. I was gonna get down (would have been the smarter idea), but decided to stay. I had a 1'x1' corner I could stand on without falling through. I saw a nice doe come out into the field right at sunrise, then saw a yearling with her. I thought they were gonna skirt the edge of the woods, out of range, but the yearling ran right toward my stand and stopped at about 15 yards. Hit her with my Rage 2 blades, and she ran about 30 yards. Felt good to finally be successful with my bow. I have a new-found sense of confidence about me.

She went about 90 pounds. Nothing real impressive, but good eating that I am proud of!

those 90 lb deer taste better than trophy's.

lifesadrag 11-26-2009 09:38 AM

I'd take that deer anyday......congrats! Take care of that stand!!!