Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattle bags

Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rattle bags

Has anyone tried building their own rattle bags? I have recently taken three old racks of the wall. I am going to make candle holders out of them or attempt to make a couple rattle bags. Just looking for a little insight.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Serously, no one?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

im not sure if the tines would work as they are all pretty much round in shape...wouldnt be as effective as bought rattle bags i dont think...the ones ive seen had different shaped sticks of plastic i think in them so they would clank together and some fit together and some shapes didnt fit etc...

i like the real deal....a bit of a pain to carry...but IMO nothing gives the sound real antlers do....actually just ordered a really nice set of shed from Canada a couple weeks back as i wanted a nice good set just for rattling...just cant get that sound any other way to me....
Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

the one i have is from HS strut and it is dow rods...cut to about 6-7 inches in length, some are round, others are round with a flat side...i think a guy could make a rattle bag himself for a cheap price
Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not.......but some food for thought. Have you or anyone you know gone 50+ yards from someone using a rattle bag and just listened to what it sounded like? I have and can tell you that those bags sound nothing like what two sets of antlers sound like. IMO it is always best to use real antlers if at all possible.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

my friend showed me this he puts some of his old lincoln logs and puts them in a sock and i tried it and it sounds good
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Spike

Default yes...

yea...actually my Dad came up w/ a great idea...if you can find someone w/ broken drum sticks...cut em up and place em in a bag...the bags we used were the purple crown royal bags...they sound exactly the same...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Spike

I have made a few different ones before, i have used wooden dowels as well as old sheds that i cut up. both have brought in deer. i put them in a sock, tie the top and put an elastic around it for when its in my pack.
i agree that it does not sound as good as real horns, but it works, and has its advantages, you can use them with out much movement in stand, easy to carry in and out,ect.