Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Management Dilemma >

Management Dilemma

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Management Dilemma

Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Management Dilemma

I just wanted some input on my hunting situation. The land I hunt on is actually my in-laws, they got me into hunting since I grew up a city kid. It is an 80 acre piece of mixed swamp/forest and it gets a TON of hunting pressure as does most of the land in my area of northeastern WI. For example 6 people bowhunt it and 12 gun hunt it. 12 people shotgun hunting 80 acres gets a little nuts. Anyway half the group wants to start some version of QDM while the other half is dead set against it. Two 1.5 year old bucks have been taken off the property already this year just bowhunting, and 4 1.5 yearold bucks were taken altogether last year. The quality of bucks in the area has gone up the last 10 years due to some of the neighbors practicing QDM. This is why some of our group wants to try it.

Here is the dilemma. Due to 4 of the last 5 years being EAB, the overall population is down considerably, to the point where its normal not see anything half the time you sit. Because of that we dont want to harvest any does for awhile. However if we start doing QDM the odds are you wont harvest a buck for awhile. So that would mean we probably wont get anything for the next few years. TO me that takes the fun out of hunting.

As a decent compromise we are thinking of proposing is an eight point antler restriction, that way the odds of getting something are decent (I would guess that maybe 20% of our yearlings have eight points.) I realize that this would put the yearlings with the best potential and genetics in the "shooter" category but we cant think of any other way to get the "traditional" guys to let some of the yearlings go. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any ideas I would love to hear them, thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

With that much pressure and shooting I would find another piece of property to hunt as well.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

12 slug guns on 80 acres? sounds dangerous to me. are you hunting back to back? But to answer your question maybe you could go by antler spread? Maybe go for 15 inches as most yearlings will not be that wide. good luck with your dillima
Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Spike

On a property that size, the benefits of a true QDM program would be negligible, especially with that kind of pressure. I would start looking for a new property. In the mean time, as long as you yourself are passing on younger deer, I don't see the problem of reaping the rewards of your neighbors management plan.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

I personally am in favor of an antler spread restriction but, that wouod never go over with the anti-QDM guys. Thats why i am thinking of an eight point restriction because to them it will seem more "realistic." These guys are used to getting a buck every year. The idea that it is ok to go a few years without a buck because the bucks you do shoot will be older doent fly with them.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Spike

I feel your pain....but my camp's problems point outward to the neighbors. I have 100 acres with another 40 that is exclusively ours to hunt. We typically kill one good mature buck every year but the neighbors kill anything that moves. Hard to implement a good GDM plan when the borders are not convinced. They reap the rewards of us passing up the bucks and still shoot the little ones too....
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

Years ago we talked with the neighbors and started a 8 points and as wide as their ears policy. All agreed and in just 2 short years the quality had moved up alot. One neighbor recently set his sights at 130 or better and the other has stated if you arent gonna mount it dont shoot it. Been about 6 years since we all started and there is alot better deer out there. 80 acres 12 people. I'd hunt elsewhere though.