Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Who's on the ground? >

Who's on the ground?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who's on the ground?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who's on the ground?

I wanted to try an entire bow season hunting from the ground. So far so good! I am 3 for 3 using my ASAT camo and my Rhino Cut and Run blind. I would have never guessed deer would come so close to me even without the blind! I shot a doe at about 7 yards and she never knew I was there! The others were about 30 yards.

I think the rush of being eye to eye is exciting and scent control can really help keep them close.
Attached Thumbnails Who's on the ground?-doe1.jpg   Who's on the ground?-rage-doe.jpeg   Who's on the ground?-rage.jpeg   Who's on the ground?-rhino.jpeg  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Spike

I took my buck this year from the ground. ASAT Leafy Cammo! I even have 2 fake oak leaf branches attached to my bow - works well even in a tree stand.

Looking back on my hunts - some of my most memorable hunts have been on the ground. Allways the more physical and mentally taxing ("can - not - move - any - muscle" said in my best "James Kirk" voice)

Want to try a tough shot - try getting a shot off from your butt. Old knees do not like being in a crouch for hours and movement is a no-no. Finally bought a tripod swivel blind chair - works well.

JTL
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

bow hunting from the ground is on my list...but i wont be in a blind...atleast not a man made one...

i know its a rush to get that close to deer on the ground...most my rifle shots are in bow range...i just need to DO it and quit worrying about the possibility of getting busted...my big thing is early season and it being thick, deer would be on my lap in the only small opening i have and gone before i could get drawn...but with some work and such, i might be able to put together different setups more suited for it...i know in my honey hole i couldnt see hardly anything on the ground...

but i know in the mountains, id actually likely see MORE from the ground as deer can walk behind the hemlocks and i cant see them at all unless they hit one of the openings...

i might try getting agressive up there next year and hunting on the ground and calling and moving...cover some ground by days end..deer respond well to calls up there and i got alot of ground to cover...and i know being on the ground COULD be to my advantage up there...and theres lots to use for cover..even being under a hemlock would help alot...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

I used a blind and I just let the ASAT do the work. I just ordered an ASAT Leafy Suit...can't wait for that to arrive! Put that with my new Pearson Advantage I will be a deer killing machine for sure!!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

MoNo--congratulations for putting together a plan and sticking with it. That is a huge accomplishment to take 3 deer off the ground in one season. Awesome.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by virginiashadow
MoNo--congratulations for putting together a plan and sticking with it. That is a huge accomplishment to take 3 deer off the ground in one season. Awesome.
Amen to that!

I do about 85% of all of my Deer hunting from the ground, regardless of weapon and have taken about a like percentage of my Deer from the ground. Nothing beats the rush of Deer at spitting distance!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I started hunting more from the ground over the last two years or so. The area I started hunting dictates it. I have hunted out of both a commercial blind and out of the usual dead branches/twigs setup. Either is effective if appropriately placed. Definitely a challenge to be on eye level with your prey....

...and what a rush!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 AM
G92
Fork Horn

Shot my buck this year from the ground sitting on a log ,it was mayb 35 yards away but still a rush!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do all of my hunting from the ground right now and love being eye level with a deer just yards away. Definitely makes it a challenge to get a shot without getting busted.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I thought it was a waist of time, but then I found out I was moving too much. Once I was still I was successful! I just bought an ASAT Leafy suit-just took the tags off and washed it! Now I am set!

Now for my 2010 Pearson Advantage to arrive for the Missouri second half!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.