Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I got my first buck with a bow! >

I got my first buck with a bow!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got my first buck with a bow!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I got my first buck with a bow!

My season opened Saturday and I went out for most of the day and didn't see a single buck. I saw 15 does though, so I thought maybe the bucks wern't in the rut yet, so I headed out to a diffrent stand Sunday morning before light and sat for about 25 minutes and then it started getting light out. 30 minutes went by and I didn't see anything but a squirrel, then I could hear somthing walking up behind me... A forked horn buck with his neck all puffed up comming into the doe urine I put out. I'm not a trophy hunter especially cause I have never got a deer with my bow before, so I got ready for a shot... Well... He kept on walking and wouldn't stop, so finally I made a grunt sound and he stopped so I put the pin on him and pulled the trigger to my realease... The buck ducked the arrow at 25 yards! and he took off running... I got another arrow ready just incase and about 45 seconds later from the other direction, another forked horn buck was headed my way, so I got ready for another shot... he came right up to the doe urine and stopped at 20 yards broadside. I had been drawin back on him for about 30 seconds already, so I was starting to get a little shakey. I put the pin on him and shot! It looked like a good shot! I waited for about 30 minutes and then started tracking him. I got on his trail and followed it for about 60 yards and then there was just no blood at all... I started doing big circles but had no luck... after an hour of looking I called my brother and had him bring our labrador retriever over... He got right on the trail and about where I lost the blood the dog started heading right for the creek. We followed him all the way down to the edge of the water and then he put his head high in the air and was looking out in the creek and smelling like there was somthing out there. We both were looking and then we saw a forked antler and a ear sticking out of the water so we got the deer! My first buck with a bow!

and yes, it is a blacktail deer.

Last edited by HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED; 11-16-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

good job - welcome to the brotherhood son
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on your first buck with a bow
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Graet job!!!!! Nice first buck!!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your first buck with your bow!!! Looks like a mule deer to me, lol. Now you can go after something bigger next time, now that you have your first buck under your belt. Congrats again!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on your first.
Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Spike

That's a great story. Congratulations!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first bow buck!!! Great dog you have there
Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

way to go...good first blacky for sure....Nice to see someone got one this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.