Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My luck turned around tonight >

My luck turned around tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My luck turned around tonight

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default My luck turned around tonight

Well guys my luck finally turned around. I hunted monday evening and was getting bummed until i had a doe come running in with her tail up. She stopped at 21 yards and kept looking behind her so i was like here we go. I waited and waited and she walked out of range and no buck. I sat back down and right around dark here comes a deer right to me. The closer he got the bigger he got. He came into 20 yards and he was a big ol buck. I let the arrow fly but my arrow deflected off a branch that i didnt see due to dark closing in and hit him far back. After i shot he didnt run he just turned and walked off. I didnt look to hard for him because i didnt want to push him. I walked 30 yards in the direction he went ( i watched him walk between 70 and 80 yds) and didnt see anything but i didnt have the greatest light. I decided to back out and am going back in the morning. I didnt get a pass through put got really good penetration. So im praying that i find him in the morning. Please pray for me guys this is the biggest buck ive ever shot and i HAVE to find this deer. Itll be hard to climb back up in a tree if i dont find him.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knew your luck would change as long as you kept going out there. good luck in the morning. Post pictures when you find him, bc i got a feeling you will.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 AM
NTO
Spike

Best thing you could have done was to back out. Give him time. He will die. Good luck, and post some pics.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will find him give him plenty of time and don't rush in
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys went back out and found alot of blood. I didnt go back out until around 8. I found my arrow covered in blood and i left a toilet paper trail where i found blood. My girlfriends. sister and her boyfriend are heading down with his tracking dogs when they get out of class. i wouldve kept pushin and looking but i dont want to mess up the trail for the dog. i have a really good feeling that this buck is dead due to the amount of blood he is loosing. Ill deffinately have pics up as soon as we find him. Im guessing i got a liver shot since it was far back.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

The gentleman with the tracking dog came and man it took us alot farther than i ever would have made it just by searching myself. We found alot of good blood when he would go up hills but after that nothing. We finally lost all blood and searched for over an hour in the last spot we found blood. I put in a ton of time searching for this deer and i exhausted every attempt to find him. I just hope i can find it in myself to get back out there and keep trying. I hate this feeling and hate the fact that i lost a deer.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Keep your chin up D&O.....you did everything you could do to find him. Being you were able to use tracking dogs, you did more than many even to recover the deer. I'm not going to sugar coat it and tell you just to move on because having lost a deer myself a couple years ago, it still haunts me. Learn from any mistakes that may have been made obviously, but you also want to realize what you did right in the situation. Learn from it all and it will make you a better hunter.