Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lone Wolf Sit and Climb...One Year Later >

Lone Wolf Sit and Climb...One Year Later

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf Sit and Climb...One Year Later

Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HuntingBry
I've been seriously considering the LW and will likely buy one this year. My reasons for wanting one are they are more silent, they are more adjustable, they can be adjusted while climbing, and they are lighter.

I currently use a Summit Bullet backpacker, but never fold it flat. The stand is ridiculously comfortable, but the slightest metal on metal contact rings out through the woods and makes me cringe. Also when climbing any higher than 15 feet you usually need to adjust the stand as the tree tapers thinner and I cannot find a safe way to do this with the platform. As a result, the stand is very tight on the tree at the lower height and scrapes the bark on the way up making noise. Weight is not a huge issue, but if I'm hiking pretty far in I work up a sweat.

I will likely replace the LW seat with a Summit seat, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me at this point, and the silence is worth the price.
Brian, I can rest assured that I will never purchase the LW. I hear too many complaints about it and seems everyone need to modify it to work with it.

I have an Ol'man that I've never had issue with. If I wanted a lighter stand, I'm only going to purchase the aluminum version of my Ol'man. I've tried the LW, don't like it either. Just a suggestion. If there is ever a chance to try before you buy, I'd definitely recommend to do just that. IMO.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Spike

Muzzy, I posted a thread below yours regarding my issues with this stand.

Regarding your comment: "Once at height, the way you cinch the top section to the platform is excellent. The LW is extremely secure on the tree, much more so than my Summit, and it was solid as well. Once those two straps are cinched down, and you stand up, you simply can't move that top section. "

This seems to be my biggest issue. Even after I cinch the straps tight I still have an issue with the platform doing the side to side thing. I called LW about it and they said I was doing everything correct but maybe I had those straps cinched too tight.

Any ideas what I'm missing?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sitting on the top section when you pull the stabilizer staps tight? Make sure the stabilizer straps are in the correct position as shown in the instructions.

Originally Posted by Drakeman
Muzzy, I posted a thread below yours regarding my issues with this stand.

Regarding your comment: "Once at height, the way you cinch the top section to the platform is excellent. The LW is extremely secure on the tree, much more so than my Summit, and it was solid as well. Once those two straps are cinched down, and you stand up, you simply can't move that top section. "

This seems to be my biggest issue. Even after I cinch the straps tight I still have an issue with the platform doing the side to side thing. I called LW about it and they said I was doing everything correct but maybe I had those straps cinched too tight.

Any ideas what I'm missing?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've climbed with a LW sit and climb for 8 years now. How's that for a $360 investment? That stand doesn't owe me anything. Honestly, the ONLY thing this stand lacks is a comfortable seat (which is important) but I use a small cushion that I keep in my day bag and it makes all day hunts a reality. I'll say this. I had my first LW stolen, which was cable locked (they wanted a LW badly) on private property that I had permission to hunt. I replaced it with another $360 LW sit and climb. That IS a lot of coin, but I know when my money is being well spent, and not on junk! Oh, now it NEVER gets left in the woods.

The bottom line is simple. Get whichever stand makes you happy and takes care of your wants/needs. That's why there's Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and then there's Rolls Royce.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Spike

LKN, here's what I just found out. I have been testing this on a telephone pole outside my house. The instructions and the video for installation of the stablaizer straps show that the stabilizer strap for the seat should be on the angled bar (which holds the traction belt) and that's where I was using it. But if you watch the video when they are actually climbing the seat strap in on the teeth bar. Which makes more sense so that the seat and platform would be parallel. So when I made that adjustment the seat was locked in tight and the platform was more sturdy. But I still had an issue when I put all my weight on one side of the platform. So I loosened the straps tightened the tractions belt on that side and retightened the straps. Well that did it. Thanks for your help. Now I will let LW know the discrepancy in the instructions.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Spike

I have the LW Hand Climber and have grown to love it. I used a Summit Viper SS until it was stolen (yes it was locked). The Summit is a great stand for locations where you hike it in and leave it. I do a lot more sneak and peek/hunting in different locations, and the LW is perfect for that scenario. It's the lightest stand I've found at 14 lbs., sets up/breaks down and packs up VERY quickly. The enclosed bar on the Summit is great for comfort, security while in the stand, and to use a gun/bow rest while sitting. Once I got used to the open front of the LW and learned to rely on the harness (two points tied off, both the top and one at the waist), it has become my favorite stand.

Summit and Lone Wolf both make great stands, in my opinion each can be perfect for a specific situation/setup. If I had to pick only one, it would be the LW.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drakeman, ya know, I too have this issue. I believe a lot of it can be blamed on the skimpy teeth section of the stand. If you're on a good sized tree, there isn't a whole lot actually contacting the tree. I guess the trees at Lone Wolf must all be the size of tooth picks.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I've got both upppers, now. Jury's still out on the hand climber upper. I DON'T like the fact that I have to constantly adjust the belts on the upper to accomodate tree size.

I personally don't use the sit and climb method and use it as a hand climber.
Neither DID I. But, the guys at LW (I called them on an unrelated matter) suggest NOT doing this. He told me it would rack the upper and make it unusable. So....do so at your own risk.

I'll tell ya....I don't hear too many guys who've owned these stands complaining. It's like driving a Porsche with a heavy accelerator and "complaining" about that....when your other choice is driving a Yugo.

Been up in mine over 150X in 2 seasons. If there was a better stand available to me, I'd definitely own it. It doesn't exist.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, I agree with you. I love the stand for the most part. I just feel they've skimped on some very important things and have falsely marketed certain aspects of the stand.

The only thing so far that I MUST change on mine eventually is to sell the top portion and buy the wide version. I've been spending all day in it the last 3 days and man, even for a guy of my size, its awefully constraining. The guys there must be midgets.

As for climbing with it as a hand climber...I dunno. I have tried to use the sit and climb method now several times, and I just can't get used to it. Every other stand I've owned I've ripped the climbing bar off of and never had an issue. If its that flimsy to begin with...well, you see where I'm coming from.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

The sit and climb bar prevents it from racking (I was told). Makes sense to me.

I used to climb (when I used that upper) the same way you do. I'd descend with the bar in place. It was easier that way, while still hooked to the tree. If you don't hook up....as far as I'm concerned your (not pointing fingers at anyone) opinion on what's more efficient/easier is useless. I won't sacrifice safety for convenience.

What I HATE about the hand climber upper is the fact that it forces me to stand WAY too far from the tree. I can get MUCH closer in the sit and climb. Much. What I do love about the HC upper is the fact that I have more side mobility shooting my recurve.

I'll settle on one in the near future. Just not sure which upper it'll be. It'll definitely be one of the two, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.