Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are they rutting in Iowa? >

Are they rutting in Iowa?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are they rutting in Iowa?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Spike

Default Are they rutting in Iowa?

If anyone out there has any info on the rut in Iowa please let me know what they are doing. I am going up there to hunt public land on Nov 12 and was wondering if they will be rutting then.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

They have been actively chasing for about a week now. I shot a buck Friday the 30th that was trailing a doe everywhere she went and have seen multiple others doing the same everyday since. Haven't seen any actual breeding yet. They are responding well to calls as well right now.
Ordinarily I'd say they'd be on pace to be locked down by the 12th, but we are going to have a prolonged warm front move in starting today that will likely slow them down quite a bit and prolong the actual breeding rut. Hope for a cold snap around the time you get here and you should be in the golden moment.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Spike

I was up there from Oct 20 through the 25 and only saw one good buck chasing. The only one I grunted in was a small six point. I hope that this trip will be a little more exciting.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by IAhuntr
They have been actively chasing for about a week now. I shot a buck Friday the 30th that was trailing a doe everywhere she went and have seen multiple others doing the same everyday since. Haven't seen any actual breeding yet. They are responding well to calls as well right now.
Ordinarily I'd say they'd be on pace to be locked down by the 12th, but we are going to have a prolonged warm front move in starting today that will likely slow them down quite a bit and prolong the actual breeding rut. Hope for a cold snap around the time you get here and you should be in the golden moment.
Have you ever hunted around Chariton, IA?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

N.E. Iowa-my daughter & I have been out nearly everyday since Oct. 25th & have not seen 1 Buck chasing. All the Does have been alone & ALL the Bucks have been alone. 2 shooters for me out of 8 different Bucks but no shots yet.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

They are going nuts here in SW Iowa. Horns and grunt calls are working good now. Bucks moving all day and chasing.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

May I ask where you are going on public land at? They are pretty hard into the rut. All the bucks im seeing are chasing does. I have called many bucks in with grunts and doe bleats.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
May I ask where you are going on public land at? They are pretty hard into the rut. All the bucks im seeing are chasing does. I have called many bucks in with grunts and doe bleats.
I will be hunting the public land just south of Chariton. I think some of it's called Pin Oak Marsh.