Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
HELP!! Wounded deer >

HELP!! Wounded deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! Wounded deer

Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Spike

Exclamation HELP!! Wounded deer

Tonight I shot the first deer of my life with my bow. I shot him at 8 yards, and I am POSITIVE I put a decent hit on him. I heard a big thwack when I shot him, and he kicked and did a 180 and ran back from where he came. He ran in the only direction I can't see well, so I have no clue where he went after about 40 yards. I know he wasn't moving very fast though. I waited 45 minutes, got done, and looked for sign. Besides a tiny piece of white hair 10 yards from the spot where he was hit, there is nothing. The arrow is in him, and there isn't more than a few inches sticking out, so I know I got good penetration. But theres no blood, anywhere!! I gave up and walked out so I didn't push him. I have a pit in my stomache the size of a basketball. Any ideas on how to find him tomorrow?? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

How high up is your stand? What way was he facing when you shot him?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Where do you THINK you hit it? Post a pic.

Wait til the AM then just get on the trail best ya can.

Don't forget to look near all sources of water. When a deer is hit they begin to feel dehydrated and head to water. Also go where the deer should feel comfortable: That real thick crap! If you lose track of blood, go in circles looking for blood. Don't forget, it may circle back also!

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Spike

My stand is about 25 feet up and his head was facing to my left. I thought I hit him a little bit forward into the shoulder blade (which could explain why I didn't get a pass through) but it still looked like a good hit. And for whoever asked for a picture, this is my best guess of where I hit him.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! Wounded deer-dfs.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Just go back in the morning. Look HARD and you should find him. I found a buck last year after 12 or 13 hours of looking. I was mad until I found him, then was PUMPED!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TK0205
My stand is about 25 feet up and his head was facing to my left. I thought I hit him a little bit forward into the shoulder blade (which could explain why I didn't get a pass through) but it still looked like a good hit. And for whoever asked for a picture, this is my best guess of where I hit him.
If thats where you hit him he should be dead in under 100 yards!!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

From 25 feet up and at only 8 yards and not getting a pass through i could see you not getting any blood. Im sure the blood started pooling up internally but it would take a lot to get it to come out that high up on the body. But from where you think you hit him id say he should be dead close by. Get out there in the morning and keep following the trail past where you last found him and he should be close by. Good luck
Old 11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Spike

Right away I was sure he was a dead deer, but should not seeing any blood be a concern?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

He is dead if you hit him there...BUT at 8 yards away and 25' up, the angle was steep, thats why you found the white hair, meaning the exit wound maybe plugged with fat, hair...etc etc...I shot 2 deer this year just like that, no blood whatsoever, but both died within 50 yards. Just grid search the area.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Spike

Thanks, I update you guys in the morning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.