Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
interesting TMA info i just learned >

interesting TMA info i just learned

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

interesting TMA info i just learned

Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default interesting TMA info i just learned

as im in the market for my climber, and being a fairly large individual i was concerned about the weight limits on tree stands

the stand im looking at is rated advertised at 350 lbs which i am well underneath.

while looking on youtube for videos of climbers going up and down trees.. i came across a video for a new style of hang on... the gentleman that was being interviewed stated his stand was TMA rated for 300 lbs... and quote "which is tested for 450 lbs, 1.5 times the advertised weight according to TMA standards"

i looked over the TMA's website and couldnt find any information on that..

i thought that was interesting,, i knew they had a lee way they had to advertise under their tested weight for saftey reasons.. but 1.5 times is a pretty good margin to give you a warm and fuzzy about going up!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

i was wondering the same thing as I weigh like 305 and its like a 100 dollar price difference for that extra 50 pound capacity. wish i had further info on it. Everyone says id be fine in a 300 lber but it aint them sitting up there worried lol.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it was twice the recommended weight.... but I might be thinking of USCG floatation and load recommendations on boats... I deal in both.

At any rate.... be smart and use common sense... if you are right on the line.... as long as your stand is in good servicable order and you wear all your safety gear... you should have zero issues.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Everyone says id be fine in a 300 lber but it aint them sitting up there worried lol.
LOL!!!

I have a friend I used to hunt with that would hang a 250 lb block of steel from the top and bottom of his climber and then climb on that block and give a couple little hops from a few feet up each year before he would climb a tree with it. Per him, "to make sure it's still good and strong". He weighs about 265, and never had an issue with a stand while doing this. He uses Summit Vipers exclusively. 515...how's that for your 300 lb capacity?