Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A few questions. >

A few questions.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A few questions.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A few questions.

I was readin a post about a shot deer. Someone said something about squirrels barking at deer. Is this true. What does it sound like. This morning i could here alot of noise sounded like a cross between a deer grunt a bull frog and maybe a little doe bleat. I thought it was a deer or two but then i heard the frog like sounds and figured it was frogs. Odd this is i am about 500 yards from the nearest water source.
Does the squirrel bark been deer are around if so i am going to get pissed i left at 9.30 to take care of some stuff.

Question two alot has been discussed about tracking time on a wounded or dead deer. How many hours do you put in tracking a wounded deer. Say one hit in the leg, one hit in the shoulder with low pent. One hit in the back of the chest cav.
When i shot one in the leg i stalked for a better second shot but when it ran off i only tracked after it for 200 yards. I figured a leg shot was unlikely to kill it and following would just push it off the land. Was i right.
Question three. I think i will need a suicide watch if i go deerless this year. Who wants first watch. Or to save time you can just all donate all your deer meat so i can take my all natural anti suicide
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Re: squirrels barking...I wouldn't put too much stock into that. It could mean a deer is nearby, but I think 'barking' is simply a squirrel's alarm call. It could be alarmed by any number of things, including deer, you, or another squirrel.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I was readin a post about a shot deer. Someone said something about squirrels barking at deer. Is this true. What does it sound like. This morning i could here alot of noise sounded like a cross between a deer grunt a bull frog and maybe a little doe bleat. I thought it was a deer or two but then i heard the frog like sounds and figured it was frogs. Odd this is i am about 500 yards from the nearest water source.
Does the squirrel bark been deer are around if so i am going to get pissed i left at 9.30 to take care of some stuff.
Squirrels will ABSOLUTELY bark at deer. When I hear a squirrel sound off, I go on full alert. They've clued me in to more than one deer headed my way. As to what it sounds like, they make a few different sounds, and they're hard to describe, but the don't sound anything like deer or frogs. My dad used to wet his finger and then put the finger against his lips and then using suction he would make that squealing bark. It was so cool watching squirrels respond to that.

Question three. I think i will need a suicide watch if i go deerless this year. Who wants first watch. Or to save time you can just all donate all your deer meat so i can take my all natural anti suicide
Are you still after your first deer, Tim?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

1.) Squirrels will bark at deer... BUT squirrels will bark at anything and everything... all day long. They can and will occasionally tip you off t deer but I sure wouldn't put to much stock in it. Far to unreliable and inconsistent to worry about.

2.) How much time a hunter should expend in pursuit of a wounded deer totally varied case to case. Of course, knowing exactly where you struck the animal is the bigest factor that will decide how long to give 'em and how far to pursue them. They certainly isn't an answer we can carve in stone here. However, I do believe most deer are lost because the hunters push the animal far to soon. ALWAYS give the animal time to lay up.

3.) It won't be the end of the world if ya don't get a deer but you still have plenty of time this year to get that done. Besides, you're more than welcomed to any of my venison, where should I send it?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey if you asken for a address i will be more then happy to give it to you.
Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
1.) Squirrels will bark at deer... BUT squirrels will bark at anything and everything... all day long. They can and will occasionally tip you off t deer but I sure wouldn't put to much stock in it. Far to unreliable and inconsistent to worry about.

2.) How much time a hunter should expend in pursuit of a wounded deer totally varied case to case. Of course, knowing exactly where you struck the animal is the bigest factor that will decide how long to give 'em and how far to pursue them. They certainly isn't an answer we can carve in stone here. However, I do believe most deer are lost because the hunters push the animal far to soon. ALWAYS give the animal time to lay up.

3.) It won't be the end of the world if ya don't get a deer but you still have plenty of time this year to get that done. Besides, you're more than welcomed to any of my venison, where should I send it?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure am. I think god does not want me to kill a deer or something. Maybe i am meant to run PETA. I could see it now a reporter walkes into the head office of peta then into my office there a 12 point on the wall and i am eating venison. She asked did you kill that poor deer. yeap sure did ran himdown at 60mph.
Originally Posted by LittleChief
Squirrels will ABSOLUTELY bark at deer. When I hear a squirrel sound off, I go on full alert. They've clued me in to more than one deer headed my way. As to what it sounds like, they make a few different sounds, and they're hard to describe, but the don't sound anything like deer or frogs. My dad used to wet his finger and then put the finger against his lips and then using suction he would make that squealing bark. It was so cool watching squirrels respond to that.

Are you still after your first deer, Tim?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Well, you're right that they bark at everything, but one thing I've learned is that they have a few different barks. One is more of a soft, drawn out, high pitched squeal that I've only heard them use when they spot an airborne predator, like a hawk or an owl. There's another that they use for a ground threat, and it's more of a short mid range squeal. The one I pay attention to is the bark they use when they're annoyed. It starts as a short chattering bark and changes to a sort of short, lower pitched bark. Sounds sort of like they're saying "chuck".

I owe an Arkansas squirrel a note of thanks, by the way. The buck I arrowed on opening day in Arkansas had surprised a squirrel about 80-90 yards out. I heard the commotion and glanced over in time to see the squirrel scamper across the leaves and up a tree. I looked where he had scampered from and that's when I saw the 10 point that I ended up getting. I might have gotten him anyway, but the squirrel definitely let me get in position while the deer was a good ways off.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Squirrels barking is a very distinct sound. They will definately bark at deer. If they hear something they don't like and they can't see it, they go on alarm. If they do, you should too.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Or they could be barking at you...warning the deer and everything else that you are there. Did you not watch Bambi as a child? You know that all animals communicate to each other.
Very important piece of advice...if there is one in your tree and it's above you, don't look up. They like to pee on ya. Thankfully this tid-bit of knowledge is not from personal experience, but is known to be true.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=NavyDeerHunter;3492642]Or they could be barking at you...warning the deer and everything else that you are there. Did you not watch Bambi as a child? You know that all animals communicate to each other. [quote]

It's been a long time since I was busted by a squirrel. I always freeze when there's one close. I don't want to get busted by them either. Deer usually pay them no attention, but I'd rather not take that chance.

Thankfully this tid-bit of knowledge is not from personal experience...
Sure it's not. We understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.