Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Got him down pt. 2 >

Got him down pt. 2

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got him down pt. 2

Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got him down pt. 2

GOing back to last year and hunting new property, in which some may recall I posted asking advice as to how to hunt this land, popular answer was "thats tough land to hunt" and I agreed then and now. One day I went out to retrieve my cams last year and had this fantastic photo of a 10 pt coming in with one tall Browtine, so being the affectionate person that I am I named him "Browtine"

Last year was my first year bowhunting and I didnt realize how tought it actually was and how much more strategy it took to down a deer, any deer, last year I was "O-FER",checking the cams for Browtine continuosly, or any other bucks that moved into the area, but I didnt see him the rest of the year

So I took back to it this year, and one week to the day I got the last pic of Ol' Browtine, I had him again, at 1:20 A.M., I thought, well it is going to be like last year,gohst in the darkness type of thing, but I did have a few other pics of nice bucks coming in that I would have surely taken. Although I must admit Ol' Browtine and I had began a "history" by this point and the girlfriend called it "obsessive"

Halloween morning I looked at the weather, WIND 20mph, rain, high of 45, I tohught to myself, well I cant shoot anything from the recliner watching the outdoor channel, so I ventured out for another "shut out". I made it out to my stand about 1/2 hour before daylight, nestled in and begun to feel the wind cutting through the trees blowing me back and forth like a Yugo on top of the Eiffel Tower, then the rain starting pelting off of me and I could only think "here I go again", but I thought I would wait it out, although my house is only a 1/4 mile away and it made the Outdoor channel even that much more appealing. So as day breaks I decide to stand up and take alook around; and out of the tall goldenrods I seen a rack coming through, mind you this is the first rack I had seen during shooting hours, so immediately my heart started to pound, I could only see a couple of horns through the grass, and he was at a nice trot, I reached over for my grunt call to see if I could get some interest, only to realize I had left it at home so I tried to mock the grunt, 2 short "blatz", and he kept on going through the grass and into the woods, so I am straining my eyes to this point looking in the woods for him ...was it Browtine?" I wondered; I knew it was pretty nice but I could not tell how nice.

Then out of the corner of my eye I see the buck coming back down the Alfalfa field, he had circled me, so as he is headed my direction I reach down and pick up my BowTech Black Ice, hook my trigger release to my loop,look down to assure it was clipped, only to notice the there was NO ARROW in the nock!! Nearest I could figure was I bumped it while standing and it came out of the nock the wind assured it went to the ground.

All the while the buck drawing closer, I ever so gently reached over to my quiver and nocked another arrow, thinking he was going to spot me. Because the field was behind me and on the back side of my tree, I slowly turned and noticed he was getting close to the only shooting lane I had on the side of the tree,about 1 foot wide.

At this point I was shaking so badly my knees were knocking, I could feel my body was numbing, then I had the only opportunity I was going to get to draw, and I TRIED, but I couldnt find the strength to get past my let-off....I took a deep breath, managed to make it past the point but couldnt hold it stright, then I was telling myself to BREATH, use the tree as a prop for my bow arm, and believe it or not I actually listened!

At this point in time I still did know if it was Brwotine, I only had side views, but I knew I was going to take this deer if I could only stay "calm".

I put my focus not on the buck, but on the shooting lane, when he breached the lane I squeezed my release, I heard a THUMP and at that time it was a blur for about 5 seconds, I wasnt sure where I hit him, but I knew it was forward, he jumped at turned ran and stopped on a high ridge I went to grab my binoc's off my tree and they werent there, I KNEW I had brought them!, I looked around, then I rememeber they were around my neck, so I glassed him on the ridge for about 3 minutes before he went down the other side.

I tracked him for about 1/2 mile,and learned a good lesson, WAIT,WAIT,WAIT, I ended up pushing him, but when I found him he was laying in a marsh,all I could see was rack through the reeds, it was a heart shot, just glanced the heart and he expired.

It WAS "ol Browtine!

I must say this was one of the biggest rushes I have ever had and I already cant wait until next year. I will admit there were several times I asked myself if this was my "gig". I put ALOT of time into this in my short time as a bowhunter, not always making the girlfriend the happiest, but just hoping one day it would pay off and boy did it.

As a side note the girlfriend is happy, she says for me, but I think its because Browtine is down and I heard the comment mumbled "now I can have my boyfriend back"

So thats my story and heres are some more pics, enjoy. Also someone had asked what I took the pics with, they were taken with a Cannon EOS Digital Rebel.
Attached Thumbnails Got him down pt. 2-bt17.jpg   Got him down pt. 2-bt16.jpg   Got him down pt. 2-bt12.jpg   Got him down pt. 2-bt9.jpg   Got him down pt. 2-bt7.jpg  

Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

BTW This is the buck in photo, in which I will change to the harvest photo soon
Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

I am also waiting on some pics of it in the field from my buddy who helped me track it, I will post those when I get them.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck. congrats and nice job
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ole "Brow Tine" is a great looking buck! Congrats.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck!!!!! Good job!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! thats a real nice looking rack!