Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
October 30 IA. buck >

October 30 IA. buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

October 30 IA. buck

Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default October 30 IA. buck

The weather was ideal Friday in Iowa, but unfortunately I was at work. A cold drizzle all day long. The weather was expected to warm up for the remainder of the following week so I planned to get in the tree immediately after work Friday afternoon and take advantage of the brief cold snap.
On the way home, right in the interstate ditch, there was a bruiser buck chasing a doe at warp speed at about 4:00 p.m. with a train running by on one side and cars on the other, so I knew it was time.

I quickly got cleaned up at home and took off for my hunting spot which is a mere 10 minutes from my house.
Upon arriving at my favorite area, I spooked up three or four deer that were in the ditch by my stand on the way in, but nothing of size and they really didn't make me out so I wasn't too concerned.

About an hour after I got into the tree, I spotted a doe being trailed closely by a smaller 8 point in the woods about 40 yards away. About a half-hour went by and suddenly off to my right I spotted a doe in the hayfield next to me about 120 yards out with her tail twitching up and down. She was facing away looking into the woods. A decent 8 came out into the hayfield chasing her but within minutes this nice mature buck came out and absolutely leveled him broad side then chased him out of the area. He then began cautiously but intently following the doe.

I had spotted this buck on a few different occasions over the past couple weeks and he seemed to be extremely cautious in his actions. He always came out of the woods at exactly the same spot at very last light. I had failed to get him closer a few days earlier when I attempted to call him in.

The doe began to head away from me so I gave a couple light can calls to see if that would interest either her or the buck, or both. After giving two calls, she immediately spun around and trotted my way with him in tow. I think she was simply looking for another deer to distract him.
As she made her way to my ditch, I believe she caught a glimpse of me getting into position. I spent the next 15 minutes standing motionless with my bow in one hand with her on the other side of my tree about 20 yards away. The buck hung up in the tall weeds waiting for her next move.
After what seemd like an eternity she eventually thought it to be safe and continued down into the ditch and up the other side not 15 yards away, but the wary buck swung around down low from me about 40 yards away offering no shot through the thick brush. Meanwhile the doe came up the other side of the ditch but was heading into my downwind stream. Thankfully I had hung a scent wick with estrous on it next to my tree for this very situation to help mask any scent I might have.
She caught wind of the wick and came toward my tree looking for a sight of another deer. The buck had eventually slowly come up the ditch from down low on the same side as her and was about 25 yards away behind a small tree. I needed him to take a couple more steps. He was standing only slightly quartering to me, but definately at a decent angle. He eventually stepped forward about 2 more steps waiting to see what the doe was getting so interested in while I slowly came to full draw. He looked up at me just as I settled the pin on him but by then it was too late. The arrow connected spot-on and he whirled around and headed for the woodline 50 yards away. He didn't make it that far. I heard him pile up into the fence next to the woods. The shot was devastating, as was the blood trail.

He is a nice mature older buck. While he showed no visible limp, his back right lower leg had been broken in several spots at some point in his life which led to the deformity of his left beam. Most likely he was struck by a car. Right beam is 24" long, left is 20" and he possesses good mass throughout. The deformity will obviously hurt his score, but for me this is one of those deer where his character and maturity outweigh any score sheet.

Now I'll be on doe duty while helping my 9 y/o son and 12 y/o daughter to fill their tags until late season when I can aquire another buck tag here in Iowa.

Good luck to everyone else here who is still in pursuit and congrats to those that have already tagged out. I've been enjoying all of the good stories the past couple weeks.

Last edited by IAhuntr; 11-01-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

He's a stud, i love the looks of that left beam, congrats!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking buck with some cool character!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome deer....CONGRATS!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Banned

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome looking buck!! It goes to show that the theory of a serious Injury on one side of the deer will affect the opposite side of the rack the coming year.

Congratulation's on a stud of a buck!!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a beauty....congrats!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome character! Great looking buck!

Shane
Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, that was a good story and a great buck. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

great buck. congrats and nice job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.