Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fatal Mistake

Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs down Fatal Mistake

Well I decided to hunt this evening,at about 5:30 pm I was looking out the window of my blind and here comes what appears to be a decent sized doe I draw back and wait for the deer to step in to my shooting lane and release the arrow making a complete pass thru at 10 yards I thought it was all great and a succesful hunt so I sat until dark and left the woods for around 2 hours and came back in and looked for blood found good blood where I shot the deer but because I made the complete pass there wasnt much blood after that holes sealed up,I found the deer 35 or so yards away what I thought was a doe turned out to be a button buck no more the 75 pounds
Old 10-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So BECAUSE you had a complete pass thru, you had less blood? Thats what you believe?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't call that fatal, those button bucks are tough to see. shooting any deer with your bow is a major accomplishment. Many hunters on this forum eat tag soup. Don't beat yourself up on this one - honor the deers life and enjoy the wonderful meat!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Im not going to beat myself up about it but would of liked to have seen him grow up to a big buck but everything happend so fast and being hungry for some deer meat didnt help the situation,but I will deal with it and enjoy the meat as far as the complete pass thru goes what happen in my case is i made a good shot but because the holes was straight across the blood didnt drain out it filled up in the chest which didnt matter to me I knew it wasnt going far.Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

It was a fatal mistake alright......for the deer. Don't worry about it. Sometimes the size of a deer is hard to judge if they are alone. Plus, I imagine it would be extremely difficult to see the nubs of a button buck at ground level.