Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Advice for next weekend? >

Advice for next weekend?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice for next weekend?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Advice for next weekend?

Next weekend I am heading up to my Piece of property in NY until Monday or Tuesday. What should I do for calls and scents? Im thinking mostly bleat cans and some estrous... Should I try some rattling as well? What are some sequences you guys do? I have 2 stands set up for me right now. I have one at the very back edge of my property, where this year I have only seen a bunch of does and a button buck and I just put up a new one which is half way down my property. Which stand should I hunt? Im thinking about trying the new one first, because I know there is a lot of deer sign in there... Or should i stick with my original stand because there are plenty of does down there and thats where the bucks are going to be? My stand at the bottom of the property is right next to a bunch of apple trees and a quad trail. My other stand is in a pretty thick area with a ravine next to me with 2 ravines intersecting in front of me.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know how long its been since you have seen your apple tree. But where I'm at, there is not a single apple on any tree. We had a late frost in the spring that killed all the buds and we didn't end up with any apples on any of the trees in the woods. I have not seen any activity with the deer in my area either. I did a little walking around the other day and only saw one scrape. Not a single rub. I sure wish these deer would start moving around more. I have noticed, they seem to be out more in the evening than in the mornings. But I'm sure every area is different
Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

They both sound good. I hunt several different stand based on the wind direction. Hunt the one with the best wind that day. if the wind is wrong dont hunt it. I shot a great buck yesterday using a doe bleat followed by a couple of grunts. Never had muck luck grunting until yesterday, called two different buck in. I bleated twice and followed it up about a minute later with a couple of grunts.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dyb3and88
I don't know how long its been since you have seen your apple tree. But where I'm at, there is not a single apple on any tree. We had a late frost in the spring that killed all the buds and we didn't end up with any apples on any of the trees in the woods. I have not seen any activity with the deer in my area either. I did a little walking around the other day and only saw one scrape. Not a single rub. I sure wish these deer would start moving around more. I have noticed, they seem to be out more in the evening than in the mornings. But I'm sure every area is different
The apples in my area stay on the trees very late, and there is a good amount of them. Two weeks ago, I watched a few deer out of my stand eating some. Same thing with my property, I saw many scrapes and rubs last year, and this year... Nothing! I dont know whats going on!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know whats going on either...... I don't know if its the lack of all the apples that they would normally come in and eat. or what. Like I said, there is not a single crab apple tree with apples this year, non, zip, zilch, nada, nothing.... The weather has been horrible. I think its just been to warm, and rainy. I hope this week is better. Might go out Monday, if it doesn't rain.......
Old 11-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Nobody else?! I really want to do an all day sit.. Im thinking about trying the new stand but am nervous I wont see much. Im not sure what to do!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Spike

hey i have killed some of my biggest bucks by sitting all day....big buck killer29
Old 11-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would hunt the stand that shows the most sign for right now and use the apple tree for late season. Remember to "hunt where they are going to be"... "not where they are". Bucks in Orange County NY right now have been cruising and some chasing here and there but from what I've seen its been all young bucks. I have only seen one mature buck on its feet and he is currently at the taxidermist. I shot him on his food patterns not breeding patterns. Good luck and shoot straight!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I think I am going to sit on stand all day at my original stand... Then try the new one sunday morning.