Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
ok something has got to give... >

ok something has got to give...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ok something has got to give...

Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ok something has got to give...

Sitting in my tree this morning i got to thinking how unorganized of a hunter I am!! What I mean is well I have a back pack with all the goodies in you know, bino's, range finder, calls,scents,knifes, drag rope, hangers, lights....when I get into the tree and put my hangers in I hang my pack then pull up my bow hang it, take the quiver off knock arrow hang quiver, get out my bino's and range finder put them around my neck, get my calls out put them into my pockets..........
Gosh I feel like a damn store! I have all this stuff and feel like when a deer comes in im like trying to figure out do I call do I range it do I look at with bino's do I sit still???? I think I am going back to my old way of hunting me a stand and the bow! If I need anything else like a knife or drag rope I will walk out and get it!
So anyways what do you guys do to keep some sanity of all your stuff in the tree? Do you ever feel like just going back to old school without everything?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My binos, Rf, and grunt, are kept around my neck bandoleer style. Light is on my head. bow hanger and ratchet strap(for stabilizing my climber seat) are in the side pocket of my coat so I can grab them when I get to height I want. Then I hoist up my bow and back pack which holds my food and field dressing equip, which is stuff I dont need in a hurry. Thats my system.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I leave all of my recovery stuff at home, it forces me to wait just a little bit longer before taking up the blood trail.

And I still end up with to much stuff with me in the tree.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Spike

I recommend carrying your bow, an adjustable hands free grunt call (on a lanyard around your neck), folding knife on your belt in holster, and any other small items you have to have in the cargo pockets on your pants (deer scents, small flash light, rope for raising and lowering weapon, etc.). That is it. I dont carry binoculars bowhunting, well because your bowhunting. They just arent necessary. My quiver stays locked on my bow all the time. When deer come in you lift your bow up in front of you in a semi ready position. The arrows break up your outline. I dont need a range finder because I shoot a pendulum sight. I have taken some nice bucks with my bow, and I never understood why some hunters (like yourself) carry so much extra stuff. So much they need a back pack. It just isn't necessary. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Kris24; 10-31-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year i weighed my back pack at 18 pounds. between 1/2 gallon of water scent calles camera tripod for said camera mag light knife this that. It was to much. Heck i bought a game cart to pull everything in between that stuff my pop up and my bow it was to much to carry. Now i have my scent scent killer spray calles, no camera this year, and a few other little things. It is nice and light. I do not wear my binos and range finder i clip the pack for them on my ladder stand and keep the ranger finder in my pocket.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

mine stays in my truck now. I figure 20 minutes in the stand 5 to 10 out 5 to 10 back so i get 30 or 40 minutes before i can even think of tracking. Though i plan on the deer making it half way to my truck and stopping. lol.
I had a guy tell me he tracked a deer 2 miles took 3 hours and it end up 400 yards from his truck
Originally Posted by bawanajim View Post
I leave all of my recovery stuff at home, it forces me to wait just a little bit longer before taking up the blood trail.

And I still end up with to much stuff with me in the tree.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I leave everything in my pack except my 2 calls (Grunt Call and The Can). I don't carry binos bow hunting. I have hunted the same four sets for so long I know the distance to the places I can shoot but for the first couple of time I hunt the stand for the season I range a couple of places just to refresh my memory. Other than that I have a knife, TP, extra release, gloves, benie, a snack, and 1 bottle of water. I did at one time use a water bladder but found it to easy to drink to much and I would have to PEE much more.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

It always seems like I have too much stuff, and I never know what to do with it. Hang it on lanyards, jacket pockets, in backpack etc still seems awkward. But boy there are days when I didn't bring the bleater and wish I had, grunt tube, camera, phone, water, etc. Often times it's like I'm bringing the backpack anyway, whats the difference how full it is. Or, I can empty items out, but then I get worried that I will forget them the next time when I decide to sit for half a day or longer. I always bring the binoculars, they are very nice to have after the shot. At the very least I feel better about getting down when I don't see anything even with the binos, and it gives you something to do while you wait that 99 year wait.