Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pass those smaller bucks. >

Pass those smaller bucks.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass those smaller bucks.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
It's always funny how whenever someone makes a thread that mentions shooting larger/older bucks,... you get the same group of "brown & downers" whine and complain about how if they don't shoot the deer in front of them then someone else will! GIVE ME A BREAK!

... don't feed us all the BS about how you MUST shoot the deer before someone else does! Also, if you're settling for smaller/immature bucks that you certainly don't EVER have a reason to bitch and cry about there being no big bucks where you hunt!
Oh really? I just read all 3 pages, and all I read was one guy say hed like to practice QDM but thought he didnt have enough acreage. You mentioned a "group" ,what group? where are all these lowly "brown & downers" you speak of ,whining about shooting deer before some one else does? How foolish
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son and I, "The Deer Destroyer", the one who started this thread Started to practice QDM on the private properties we hunt. We do not own these properties and yes, other hunters hunt on them. Some practice QDM and others don't. There are also other hunters on adjoining properties that I know for sure that shoot any deer they see. If that turns their crank that is fine. But, like my son said, just since we have started passing on the smaller bucks we have seen a vast improvement on the numbers of larger bucks. So, it sure seems like it works for us as I'm sure it does others as well. As far as needing meat, I'm sure there are enough does in most of your areas that you shouldn't even have to worry about shooting bucks. We do not even buy beef in my house. I have not purchased any beef in over 8 years. Kill those does. By no means was my son cutting down anyone's hunting style. He was simply saying if you want to shoot larger bucks but rarely ever see any bigger bucks and you shoot the smaller ones maybe this is the reason you aren't seeing the larger ones with more frequency. Good luck to you all this year!!!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
"you get the same group of "brown & downers" whine and complain"

it's kinda sad really and I'm thankful that most of these wankers aren't my neighbors!
Based on my posts, do you consider me a "brown and downer" or a "wanker" because I disagree with the air of superiority I sense from the majority of folks who practice QDM? Just to set the record straight, no one on this forum has ever heard me complain about buck to doe ratios or buck size where I hunt. Also, every club I hunt on in Tennessee has an 8 point minimum rule. That may not be much by your standards, I'm sure, but it's a start, right?

In Arkansas, it's a 3 points on one side rule, which isn't much even by my standards, and I passed on quite a few smaller legal bucks and the first buck I killed there was a 10 point. The thing is, I still had a handful of fellows from your persuasion tell me that I should have passed on him as he was a smaller 10 point. Christ Almighty, it was my first buck with a bow and I'd passed on so many. I was thrilled with it, and to have some holier-than-thou prick at a gas station in Arkansas, of all places, tell me to my face that I shouldn't have shot it was an insult.

Fingerz42 made a post on the previous page in support of QDM and his opening statement was this:

"Let me preface this by saying this is intended for those who want to see larger bucks or want to practice some sort of QDM. I am not preaching that we all should use QDM, but if you would like to, or do, read on."

That was well said by Fingers42, and if this thread had opened with something similar to this, I'd have had no input at all, and I'd wager quite a few others who posted wouldn't have either. Unfortunately, this thread opened and gave the impression of a sermon on what you should do instead of what you could do, and that's the fastest way to spin most people up, including me.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Manof the fall you sound like a gentleman, as well as your son so I will try to debate your points in a gentlemanly way aswell. I dont feel that this thread is a knock to my or anyone elses, hunting style or standards. I feel this thread was unnessassary ,w/ all due repect, because if it was aimed at those who only want to shoot big bucks, they already will pass on small bucks. I myself will pass on small buck 99% of the time, but not because I think hell grow into whopper, but because Ive already shot plenty of em, and I dont want to waste my tag on one, but if all the hunters who preach QDM were honest, they would admit that they most likley killed a small basket rack buck for their 1st, and were probably thrilled to do it, I know I was. Think about it, do you really see alot of posts, complaining that they cant shoot a big buck? All I see is posts by newbies who are dying to stick their 1st buck ,any buck. Im not going to take that joy from a newbie cause I think if he pass's on a small buck, Ill have wallhangers behind every tree in a few years, and I think its very selfish and disingenuous of the more seasoned bowhunters out there, who buy into the QDM logic, to expect the up and comers, to pass on bucks they shot themselves in the past.

Personally I just dont buy into the theorys about growing big deer and racks. I live in the middle of a very well know and highly pressured state hunting land ,that gets hammered by hunters from NYC and LI, and up till this year had no ARs. Alot of yearling get wacked, but beleive you me, there are still some dandys running around in these woods .I also live right on the boarder of NY/NJ ,NJ has ARs, we do not , I have hunted both sides, I have noticed no difference in the size ,or the amount of big bucks I see, in fact,a good friend and taxidermist of mine ,also living in this area, gets 3 big racks from NY for every NJ. now will one of you qdm advocates, please explain to me, how that is? IMHO I think guys passing on deer to increase the amount of big deer in an area are just fooling themselves, but whatever floats your boat. I think the only things you can truly do ,to improve your chances at a bigger class of deer, is to spend as much time in a stand as possible, the rest is luck.

W/ all due respect. I think we need to stop all the eliteism,and pushing our standards on others and we need to focus our attention on getting more people to buy hunting licenses and hunting gear because from what I understand, our #s are dropping every year, and that IS NOT good. "peace yall"
Old 10-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Spike

I would love to pass on 120" bucks but if I don't shoot them my neighbors will. I have tried to talk to my neighbors about passing up smaller bucks to try and get some 160-170" deer on all of our properties but no1 can manage to pass up anything smaller than a 90" deer. We have a 4 generation farm and my family and I are trying to manage our 180 acres but it is hard when the neighbors shoot anything that moves basically. My girlfriend that has yet to put a deer on her wall is passing up 100 class deer to help out the cause. Sucks not being able to find the 160 class deer after they have matured.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chas0218
I would love to pass on 120" bucks but if I don't shoot them my neighbors will. Sucks not being able to find the 160 class deer after they have matured.
Yeah that really sucks almost not even worth the effort to shoot a deer if its not gonna make B&C LOL I cant believe the stuff people write.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, after reading all these posts we apologize. Maybe my son should have said in the title: if you don't want to practice QDM don't read this, or if you don't want advice on possibly how to get bigger bucks on your land then don't read this or maybe for those who want to practice QDM only. The only negative statement he said in this post if you can call it negative is if you want to shoot bigger bucks then pass on the small ones. This post was not meant to bash on those who don't want to do this. We have shot our share of small bucks and I have shot many more smaller bucks than my son has. So far he has shot 4 bucks with his bow. The first 4 bucks he shot were bigger than my first several bucks. His second buck was bigger than any buck I have shot until the buck I shot this year. He didn't mean to start a war and he certainly wouldn't ask any of you to hunt differently. That was not his intentions. He has a 2 year old son himself. I know how he will feel when his son shoots that first buck whether it be a spike or a monster, the feeling will be the same. You see we aren't all that bad. Hunt and have a great time doing it and pass it on to the generations. This is our style we have been working on the last few years and it seems to be paying off. If you don't want to do it then fine. We didn't cut down anything you guys practice so don't cut down our style either. Oh, and by the way the buck I shot scored 125 5/8. Some may cut me down for shooting him. But, we watched him for 4 years and he was a mature deer and I was happy with him.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm glad you have the luxury of having a property to yourself. But I believe the majority of us have people surrounding us that shoot anything thats brown.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Ok, after reading all these posts we apologize. Maybe my son should have said in the title: if you don't want to practice QDM don't read this, or if you don't want advice on possibly how to get bigger bucks on your land then don't read this or maybe for those who want to practice QDM only. The only negative statement he said in this post if you can call it negative is if you want to shoot bigger bucks then pass on the small ones. This post was not meant to bash on those who don't want to do this. We have shot our share of small bucks and I have shot many more smaller bucks than my son has. So far he has shot 4 bucks with his bow. The first 4 bucks he shot were bigger than my first several bucks. His second buck was bigger than any buck I have shot until the buck I shot this year. He didn't mean to start a war and he certainly wouldn't ask any of you to hunt differently. That was not his intentions. He has a 2 year old son himself. I know how he will feel when his son shoots that first buck whether it be a spike or a monster, the feeling will be the same. You see we aren't all that bad. Hunt and have a great time doing it and pass it on to the generations. This is our style we have been working on the last few years and it seems to be paying off. If you don't want to do it then fine. We didn't cut down anything you guys practice so don't cut down our style either. Oh, and by the way the buck I shot scored 125 5/8. Some may cut me down for shooting him. But, we watched him for 4 years and he was a mature deer and I was happy with him.
You didn't get no negativity out of me, people over reacted big time as far as I'm concerned. Only on the Internet.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think people disagreeing about passing small bucks is being negative, and if anyone is over reacting its the people posting in this thread ,who agree w/ passing small bucks. That said, If this really was intended for people who believe in passing on small bucks, qdm, or what ever you want to call it, wouldn't it stand to reason, that they already would pass on small bucks? Sorta like telling a republican to vote republican , kinda redundant, isnt it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.